Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucy's Taqueria for sale
There's a person that makes different mexican dishes every weekend. But the menu changes every week I think. Nanacarlotas is their name on social media. Had their Birria tacos and it was really good. Not sure how the rest of their food is but everyone I know that's ordered food from them has said it was awesome too.

Does anyone know if anywhere else makes those Birria tacos? Had them on O'ahu and I'm constantly craving them now lol.
Panchos makes Birria soup. Maybe they can hack the menu for you?
I was enjoying Pancho's food until they made Pozole and had it as a special on Feb 10.

It was full of bones and mostly lumps of fat. We ended up throwing it away.

When we make it at home we cook down a pork butt and remove all of the bones and fat. It then sets in the fridge overnight so we can scoop of the rest of the fat.
Next day reheat the meat and add Pozole corn( if we have some or just add hominy) and the other ingredients.

Luquin's has had Birria and Lengua tacos as a special.

They were posting the specials on their Facebook page every day but the young lady who was doing it took maternity leave.

The specials are very good and a departure from their regular menu. If you go between 1:00 and 4:00 it's not busy.
Ha ha. We ate there years ago on the recommendation of several people who said it was the best Mexican on the island.

We went for lunch. It was so bad, we didn't eat the rest of the day.

It was a really weird experience. Never had it before or after in our lives. After eating there, just the thought of food, ANY food was repulsive. Guess it would have been a good place to go if you were dieting! Big Grin
Where is Panchos food truck located?
What's the.best thing they make?
Kinda burnt out on Lucy's and Louquins.
Poncho's is at the site of the old Luquin's in Pahoa on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

https://panchostacoshawaii.square.site/?...sOKw5zR25A
(03-31-2021, 05:33 PM)Obie Wrote: Poncho's is at the site of the old Luquin's in Pahoa on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

https://panchostacoshawaii.square.site/?...sOKw5zR25A

Sometimes they are there on Fridays (they go to HPM in Hilo about half the Fridays) , and sometimes they aren't there at all.  Definitely check out their FB or web site before heading over.  A few weeks ago they took a week off for "ohana" and it was clear on their web site but somebody might have been disappointed if they didn't check before driving over there.

"What's the.best thing they make?"

I like the chile relleno plate when they have it, the burrito especial (add sauce), the burrito bowl, the quesadillas, but there are many items I haven't tried.  Each option has ~10 sub-options for selecting different meats / vegetarian / vegan, I haven't eaten my way through all of those either.  We weren't especially impressed with the enchiladas or tacos, but that is a personal preference sort of thing.  I recommend ordering online because it helps me navigate their menu (changes frequently) and all the options, and the fact I can't interpret Spanish words on their menu at the truckand they turn off online ordering pickup window times when they aren't there.  Also I ordered their special from online menu and they had an "out of stock" sign on it at the truck, but they were able to fill my online order.  They don't start preparing online orders even if you pre-pay on web site until you show up, though it allows you to skip to the front of the line (different window for online orders) so it still makes getting food a lot faster.

The food DOES vary quite a bit in taste, saltiness, and consistency.   I don't know if that is an ingredient or quality control issue but we have had a few duds that were huge wins before, but nothing that would prevent me from going back.  It makes me wonder if we got their enchiladas on a dud day.

Their 10 sub-options for putting into things like tacos, burritos, etc:

Vegan
Veggie
Pollo (Chicken)
Al Pastor ( Pineapple Pork)
Barbacoa (Shredded Beef)
Carnitas (Shredded Pork)
Chile Verde (Green Pork)
Chorizo (Ground Mexican Sausage)
Carne Asada (Thin Chopped Steak)
Lengua (Beef Tongue)

Almost forgot to add, this is the only place I've had Mexican food where the beans and rice were so good on their own I ordered more separately. Normally I consider them practically to be a bland garnish, but here it tastes like.... food.
"I was enjoying Pancho's food until they made Pozole and had it as a special on Feb 10.
It was full of bones and mostly lumps of fat. We ended up throwing it away."

Just repeating this, their food is good but this was a reason I won't go back.
Don't order Pozole.
I've never seen Pozole on their menu (I had to duck duck go to know what it was, I'm not that knowledgeable). But it sounds like otherwise you liked them? Maybe try again and don't order PZ if they have it?

We had a similar experience (too salty to eat, not just flavor, but like... will this put me in the ER?) with another soup they served. So NO SOUP FOR US. Hoping it was a bad day, but we're not big soup ordering people anyway, so unlikely we'll try another (salt) soup there since there are so many other awesome things to try.
No luck selling Lucy’s so they are closing, tomorrow is their last day.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...-to-close/