Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future is now! NO MORE GASOLINE!
Why not let geothermal expand it's operation to supply the entire Island with a baseline supply of power islandwide, using existing facilities for daytime supplement when and where needed! If we could force HECO to drop their rates the plug in
electric vehicle could work. It would take a lot of solar to run a house and charge a car. Our electric rates are the highest in the nation and we are sitting on a goldmine of thermal! Forget what a mess the state made of the original, the present plant is nice!

Gordon J Tilley
Gordon J Tilley
Impossible guys and gals, at least for now. Sure, all these technologies should be the way of the future and I'm all for NOT polluting our enviroment but what about industrial continuity? We are logically compelled to live in the here and now and the now has an oil-driven prime-mover which can't be avoided, only mitigated by these various technologies.
Let's look at Puna's life blood, the highway, which is only a beginning and I'm convinced that in the future it will appear very different. Let's think about ways in which this boulevard can be improved since right now it's a nightmare and it's going to get worse unless something is done from a basic re-engineering standpoint.

First off, people are simply going to have to come to the understanding that the highway, in order to safely and efficiently handle the volume now being generated by an increased level of mainland population exodus, (which shows every indication that these levels will increase now that the babyboomers, born [starting in September of 1945] are now eligeble, at age 62, to receive Social Security. Couple that with x amount of years on the job from which many will extract a pension, and the fact that many purchased their homes when the market was appreciably at a lower value and, despite the fact that sales have slowed, can, even still, sell for a major gain. We could be facing a unique real estate boom here in Puna ... which of course would add to the population density, since the 'leading-edge' of this generation is retiring now and it's very possible that this comming summer will see increased home sales and a more crowded highway) are, due to the requirements which will be necessary to produce a highway which is relatively safe, are going to have their travel time impeded ... it's a simple trade off ... more time on the highway equals more safety ... since the current rate of accident, and we all see it, is unacceptable.

Of course the state and county will not be able to come up with the funds to spearhead a complete appropriate project, so the venture must be done as cheaply as possible if it's to be done at all. Basically the highway needs more stoplights, better overall illumination from streetlights and one alternative
lane which is concrete barricaded from the two main automobile lanes.

Here we are positioned with only two lanes, which by the way was the amount of lanes we had before the construction began in, I believe '94.
First of, public education, of which the county has been dearth to implement. People must understand that the main arterial in and out of Puna, in order to provide a safe and dependable system of transportation, will require them to slow down, period.

Lights must go in at the key intersections, and we all know which ones they are ... they're the intersections where all the people are being maimed and sometimes killed in traffic accidents because the state and county has turned it's back on Puna and rather saw fit to spend millions of our tax dollars on other projects outside of the district ... for instance, the new State/County/Whatever building now being constructed in Hilo (which looks like something straight out of the pages of Orwell), and will require an untold amount of funds just to keep it air condtioned. In any case, stoplights at Maku'u and Orchidland intersections and, since it shows every indication of growing and prospering, at the Maku'u market entrance.

So the way I see it, no matter how the design and engineering of the highway evolves in the future, quite possibly in anticipation of much higher gasoline prices, ie. some type of alternative lane for walking, bicycles, and yes, even beasts of burden, the stop lights and more street lights should go in first coupled with a public educational awarness program informing drivers that they are going to be compelled to slow down because of the lights being put in and other projects being considered, (and to plan accordingly in terms of commuting times.)

I want to state again. At this point in time, for the state and county not to have constructed a series of stop lights on the highway, specifically, but not limited to, Maku'u, Orchidland and Lelani intersections, is nothing less than a manifest demonstration of 'on the job' negligence and I feel it's fair to say that most of the people who have suffered, and I'm sure are now suffering from automobile accidents occuring at those mentioned intersections, can accurately assume that those agencies are responsible, since they did not fulfill their mandate to keep the highway safe.

I know the topic is gasoline, but the price of a gallon of gasoline is linked to the way we should develope OUR highway.

JayJay

Edited by - JayJay on 12/25/2007 01:37:16
JayJay
JayJay,

About, "Lights must go in at the key intersections."

Traffic lights are not the place to start, and may have no place at all in improving our transportatin networks in Puna.

Why? If some type of traffic control is needed, the safest, lowest cost, and most reliable is a roundabout. (see roundaboutsusa.com and links from there, so you do not immediately confuse rondabouts with the completely different 'traffic circles'.)
Furthermore, the future is not about driving daily 30 to 60 mile roundtrips Puna - Hilo.
As this thread is about gasoline, I would point out that roundabouts lower fuel consumption and emissions; and less driving means less petrol burned, right?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
We also have to break the American thinking that bigger is safer. I'll admit, my decision to purchase my current vehicle was based on the need for a vehicle that can run on E-85 or another alternative fuel. But when looking at the CNG or LPG vehicles, I did consider what happens when I run across soccer mom in her Expedition or Tom Teenager in his jacked F-250 when they are text messaging and not paying attention. My Pickup is large and will fair much better in an accident than the Civics. I'm guilty of that "safety is size" thinking, and if I made that part of my consideration, so will many others. The cycle continues....

quote:
...need for a vehicle that can run on E-85 or another alternative fuel. ...Expedition ... jacked F-250 ...My Pickup is large and will fair much better in an accident than the Civics.

"accidents"? No, how about "crashes" or "collisions"? ...you can see why...

The 'safety' rationalization has never appealed to me. No doubt, sales persons earning commissions see their income as far 'safer' when they sell bigger and more expensive vehicles.
Public (and, in Puna, private subdivision) roads and streets are not bumper car rides.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Correct me if I'm wrong- my understanding is you are supposed to "fill up" electric cars on "off peak" hours when electricity is cheaper and literally goes up in smoke since the electric company cannot economically store electricity.

Unfortunately I don't have an electric car but I always charge my other batteries on off peak hours since at least you are saving money with the cheaper rates I would think.

Others want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
Hawaii County does not have 'off peak' rates, so there is no cheaper time, and they do have peaking power plants & demand technology on most of their generators (Puna geothermal is one that is not demand regulated)
Hawaii County has peak demand during the evening hours, not during the day, hence evening supplement is the most important for this county.
Some have wondered why HELCO does not have 'off peak' pricing, but I truly doubt that would change many user patterns(for residential use), as we are already paying more than three times the national average for our power, and residential electrical useage is very near the national average. (for residential use).
Phoenix Motorcars has a more conventional electric vehicle start up for next year, and there are a few electrics on island, one Rav EV one the Kona side is recharged with solar PV... ( www.phoenixmotorcars.com) The biggest problem with electrics here is servicing the vehicle....it is hard enough with many of the more mainstream car makes, electric is still a long way off from mainstream...

I still haven't heard why we don't allow Puna Geothermal to expand until they cover the whole island with a steady flow of power islewide. With expansion they could lower rates until they're at least steady and under oil prices. Helco seems to want to keep readjusting their antique sytem to try and stay in th money. Their equipment would still be used for extra demand, as could wind and solar. Why would this not work?
Gordon J Tilley
Thanks. So I finally looked up heco and looks like the only place they list off peak pricing is Molokai! But can't tell when their off peak hours are. Doesn't seem it would be much different from Puna no[?]

Other people want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
Gtill, it would work. This island is completely capable of providing all the energy and food we could ever use, and then some. I believe that day will come. We could be an example for all the world.

As for my Father's EV, Yesterday we installed the Transmission and motor. We assembled it out of the vehicle so we could test it for vibrations easier. Today we made motor mounts to support the new electric motor. It wont be long and we will be sending it off to the body guy for some paint and interior work. Its been a fun experience so far converting this thing. I can't wait to drive it.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond