Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future is now! NO MORE GASOLINE!
Dear Doctor,
I must, reluctantly, find myself in disagreement with your position on the theoretical placement of 'roundabouts' on Highway 130.

First off, because a system works elsewhere does not necessarily mean it will work well here. The concept, although outwardly attractive, to me seems unfeasable.

Do you actually think that the army of iceheads who routinely jet around puna in their junkers are going to fare well in such a configuration? ... I don't. I don't beleve a 'roundabout' is going to slow them down at all. Just a thought of course.

The reality is that despite what you've read on the web, any circular design is hazardous and always has been once encountering high volume and that's exactly what we're potentially faced with here, and of course these businessmen/engineers are going to tout their merits because they are in the business of creating them for paying clients. It's been my experience never to trust anyone with vested interest, although I'm willing to admit that in certain enviroments the system may work well, but I think not here.

Also, as expensive as any traffic control system is, it's extremely hard for me to believe that the cost of a 'roundabout' is less than a stoplight intersection system considering the amount of materials, design, labour, et.al., with would go into the production of just one roundaout, yet I'll defer to you on this particular point.

Basically it's an attractive system, I must admit, and obviously suited to areas where individuals are accustomed to driving at reasonable speeds, which I might add, is not Puna where people tend to drive like a bat out of hell.

Just my opinion, but I can't see any other alternative beyond the installation of more lights ... besides Doctor, do you relly think the county/state entity will ever go for such a concept? ... I don't. I think we've got to go with what's attainable, traffic lights - intersection by intersection.

If I may, I would add that I've read many of your posts and, as a rule, consider your contribution to this website invaluable, thus I trust you'll allow me to disagree on this particular point.

JayJay
JayJay
Daniel, that's great did you use any sort of a Kit, or just off shelf? As redundent brakes charge down hills why couldn't you replace the radiator with a fan as a wind charger. The front of the vehicle already creates drag, this won't increase it and fact if properly vented could decrease drag. Always dreasmed of an early 90s datsun hardbody pu in electric.

Thanks, just a brain fut
Gordon J Tilley
We have had some help from a friend in Utah who works with EVs. We built the motor to trans. adapter ourselves and have done all the labor ourselves also. We have a friend in HPP who we may hire to paint it. He owns amazing towing (yellow truck). There is still a lot of work to do in it but it is coming together nicely. It is a 95ish mazda pickup. I not sure but as far as I know the brakes that charge your battery are not like one would think, in the wheel like disk brakes, but are more like engine breaks in a truck. It turns your motor into a generator. I'm not sure if our motor is capable of it, but the system is a little more complex and expensive. As for windmills, I've heard of one company that has one on the vehicle that isn't a major help, but it works and is posible.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
Daniel, oh how exciting! Even if it costs more to use electric for powering, it is the sane choice. Continuing to use dirty polluting engines when there are alternatives appears so short sighted. People are at the mercy of the greedy corporate system and I am not judging anyone for their choices. However, you and your Dad deserve applause for taking the leap. I am interested to hear about your progress, - please keep posting. The solar power should help with keeping the cost reasonable. How far will you go on a charge? I hope that soon the power plants will use fuel cells instead of oil.
As others have pointed out, Hawaii sits on an effectively limitless supply of geothermal energy, but is not utilizing it. I could envision all of the BI energy needs being meet with no petroleum products. Geothermal as the basis, with a combination of batteries and hydrogen for non-linked needs such as vehicles. Both electric (battery modes) and hydrogen require energy. Using oil to produce the energy source is always going to be inefficient. However, when you have a continuing source of power (nuclear, hydroelectric, geothermal, solar), the batteries can be charged and/or hydrogen produced during either off hours or with surplus not needed for linked (powerlines) demand.
We have a F-250 but use it for its intended purpose - hauling materials. It isnt pretty, it doesnt has big tires sized appropriately for its use and not for no reason - i.e. drive around and look cool. Just to run errands, we use the Camry.

One of the things I would like to see is less "disposable" cars. I know the old ones dont get as good of gas economy but I wonder of there is a way to make cars more well made and economical both. Less auto mfg would make a dent in the carbon footprint I think.

(refridgerators would go in this same need to be more well made and efficient category.)
I would like the Hawaiian take on geothermal, it seems it would benefit all people on the island. In know they had a real hassle with them for being on Hawaiian land, but I hope that has been healed. The state did such a botched job of bringing it over here originally,no wonder nobody liked it. But today the operation is much cleaner, they have been under
air testing for a number of years,I belive without problems. Plus they have built two funds towards neighborhood improvments, which now the gov is drooling over how they can squander them. The company is ready to expand, and if it,s done right, you'd never know it was expanded after copmletion. Possibly if it was mandated then the exhorbinant prices could be negotiated down.
Gordon J Tilley
http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html

Maybe off topic but the story of stuff!
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

the Hawaiian take on geothermal"

Yeah, I've wondered about this.

"But today the operation is much cleaner, they have been under
air testing for a number of years, I belive without problems...ready to expand, and if it,s done right...

This, sounds eerily like the line for nuclear power, nuclear waste, waste incineration, and other nasty, nasty processes that, with a New and Improved Formula, all is well and those nasties 'go away' ... not on this planet they don't!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
None of this stuff is rocket science, the Icelanders live on a volcanic island, too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_...in_Iceland

http://www.energy.rochester.edu/is/reyk/

I guess it's a matter of politicians and corporate interests having a vision for the future, instead of continuing the status quo.

How do I know?
Aloha! ;-)