Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting and Petition for Pesky Helicopters
quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Thanks Bob, I thought I read over 300' before reporting, the 150' wouldn't give much of an altitude perspective.
I have no idea where the 300' limit before reporting came from. I'm quoting from the Code of Federal Regulation as supplied by my FAA contacts. If you have something different, let me know and I can run it past them to see where the discrepancy came from. They have been really good at showing me how people often only read words and sentences and not the content and context.
Thanks guys,this is sounding really good.

gtill,I will email you the logo as soon as I get it ready.

Bob, I contacted Honolulu Airport "flight standards, district office" Refered by the tower. I was quoted 101.13, and he double checked and confirmed 101.13!

I called from north shore, Oahu the official didn't really know too much about balloons, but more familiar with kites. Same rule for Hono. But Big Island difference between them is
105.15 stipulates the 150' high reporting requirment! 101.13 stipulates reporting necessary if, at or near 500'!

I'd report anyway and get a reading from the Hilo tower. Which one do THEY use?

Google the exact FAA reg and you'l find a bunch more Moored Tether rules most dealing with unsafe practices at many altitudes. Fortunately our govt hasen't really banned much. Their are exceptains pertaining to most rules, to match the local conditions. Actually the rules can be bent to whatever is necessary for the situation.

The flight std guy was really very helpful, and said to make the report to him. I called back to make an appointment, and he did't return my call by friday nite.
Hey, it's the fed!

It's a sport, "Balloon"s, the lazy persons Kite" Will keep trying".
Gordon J Tilley
bob, just reread your last, and you are deinetly right, the reading is critical, and i have assumed at a glance, wrongly before!

But those last two numbers can really make a difference. Read perfectly, there is a big difference in enforcment powers, and evidence gathering to prove a violation(string) at 150' much easier proven than under 500' on sight! We will not be loved by all! Sometimes the best defense is a good, legal offense.
Gordon J Tilley
Yeah the readings are confusing but when examined as a whole, they make sense. I did see the 500' limit mentioned and asked about that when we were talking. Not including all the special issues with controlled or restricted airspace and stuff about airports and flight paths) here's what I was told:

Between 1' to 150', no restrictions or reporting.

Between 150' and 500', no restrictions but mandatory reporting to the FAA as outlined.

Above 500' fully regulated and restricted.

So if kept under 150', basically you can do what you want and not have to report it to the FAA because it's under the limit before any FAA rules kick in.

[?]NOTE: you notice the absolute maximum limit is 500 feet. Can you guess why that number is set as the maximum? [?]
Good question, possibly because of clarity, a nice memorable odd number, and gives a safety zone for cloud height?

Cloud height affects kites too, if weather socking in, pull back. Altitude affects direction of flght. In a controlled area 1-2000' east 2-3000' west or the other way around! Or is it zero-2000' and 2-3000'.

Either way, i definetly need a little more research. But my first encounter with the tower contact was good, FOI holds with the fed, If i had have have made the report then, he would have taken it. I snoozed and lost. I'll be back!
Another difference with 110.13 is it requires reporting to a tower if within 5 miles of airport! Not blanket like 110.15. Never the less, he recommended i contact dillingham, which turned out to be unmanned.
Gordon J Tilley
gtill,I emailed the logo to you today.You might find it in your bulk file because sometimes mail ends up there if your email doesn't recognize the address.

Also,A new page was added to our website called"Laws,and Findings".
Plus,there is a recent pic of a low chopper on that new page.The new page is still a work in progress,but it is full of good information.Feel free to check it out.

http://www.freewebs.com/caoahawaii/
Thunderfoot, got it, sending it to my son for some cleanup to print! The standard european (don't do!) signs use all black Feature(heli, cigarette, truck) only, or whatever your banning with a red circle and slash. For clarity that might be more visible on a white or yellow balloon. If any objections let me know. Your chopper image is good!
Any more comm with the park, a lot of examples of fed - private collaboration government wide. It could boost the parks revenues through royalties,and give some company a monopoly on park tours. Under park controls! There are new helicopters that are very quiet and spacious (park sets the contract). Plus short cheaper tours would be possible. Provide ADA, AARP, and ordinary citizens an opportunity to see her. The park could be sold, win-win!

Gordon J Tilley
Thanks for the help with the ballons gtill.It is greatly appreciated.

As far as quiet choppsers,well the noise aspect is only one issue.There are still privacy issues,where air tours video tape their trip and sell it to the tourists.

Also, overflights violate native ceremonies,which require strict isolation.Plus,chopers are not a part of the natural park experience either.

Further, there is also the danger of volcanic gases that corrode mechanics quickly.there are only two maintenance companies for ,well 10 choppers just for Blue Hawaiian.Statewide we average a crash a month thereabouts.And some aircraft stall in midair altogether.

The pilots have been given years of opportunities to consider the communities objections.They have known for years how unhappy we are,but they ignored us.They even ignore FAA flight elevations,ALL THE TIME.They don't fly in a corridor.They do nothing on thier own to allieviate the concerns of these communities.They can't monitor themselves and behave now.What makes anyone think they would behave with a quieter chopper?

The truth is there are alot of issues here,and them being more silent is just one of many.

Thanks for the info.though,and I look forward to talking to you more.

Hey,I have noticed that Darl has been conviently absent about the meeting.Looks like lip service again!!![Sad]