Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current status of animals to Hawaii
I have heard that too, you have to have a psychiatrist or MD certify the dog and the dog has to be a licensed therapy dog which takes about 6-8 months to get (with background checks)

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
The FAA gives the individual airline the right to set their own policy on transporting animals. The airlines decide if they will or won't take animals; if they are allowed in the cabin; and if they want to set a limit on total number of animals. The only exception is airlines CAN NOT refuse a "Service Animal" as defined in the ADA from being with their owner in the cabin or airports. The definition of "Service Animals" is provided in the ADA. Local state and municipal laws that accord additional protection to other classes of animals are not binding on the airlines.

"Companion" animals are not Service Animals. "Therapy" animals are not Service Animals. "Emotional Support" animals are not Service Animals. Service Animals, legally, are not pets.

However, the FAA does allow other classifications of animals to accompany their owner providing it is medically necessary to overcome a "Disability" during the flight. When that occurs, the animal will be temporarily classified as a Service Animal for the purposes of the FAA and ADA, but that animals must still meet the requirements for a Service Animal. Specifically, the animal must be trained to perform a specific function for overcoming that disability.

Note, the FAA and ADA does not require the animal be certified or licensed as a Service Animal, but they do require the medically necessary to be proven and that the animals was in fact trained specifically (the main component of Service Animal) to deal with the owners disability. There is a mistaken belief that the airlines do not have the right to question 'disability" and Service Animal needs. The airlines can not demand proof of disability of the passenger to allow service animals onboard, but they do have the right to demand proof that the Service Animal is a legal Service Animal protected under ADA.
I can help you due to going through the process now. It isn't cheap it is easier to bring a child to Hawaii. I will be showing back up in less than a month so flight is all that is left.

No dogs flying in plan unless you charter a plane for major $$ with other people still in over $4000. per person and dog to my understanding. Service dogs must go through more of a process of months.

1st Rabies and second rabies - must be two no less than 90 days a apart. If already current on rabies must get another. Less than 2yrs off arrival.

affter second rabies shot (if new then you need to wait for 21 days before blood test doesn't say that) get a blood test only to Kansas University and have paperwork when sent for Hawaii entry by the vet so you don't have to do it.

Micro chip before blood work. Must only be Avid or Homeagain brands no others. Had to chip my dog again. Wait 120 days from blood work processed and recieved at Kansas and must pass a blood titer of .5 ml. If dog already had shots no problem.

Have both rabies certificates that you mail signed in Blue ink if you can to show no photo copy and match the Home Again or Avid microchip even if you have another brand. Hawaii paperwork only takes orginals.

Health Certificate must have weight, healthy, and dog is healthy to fly from mainland to Hawaii added to it for mainland airport able to fly from 20 degrees to 100 degrees other wise flying in winter or summer planes will not take. Must be done 14 days but do it within 10 days to be safe... also then the vet must put on long acting tick drops on dog and health certificate that isn't Revaloution brand.

Get dog on heartworm medication not a requirement but needed to my understanding in Hawaii.

Crate and dog with bedding must be under 70lbs otherwise must ship cargo and price will triple. Inculding you will need to take dog to another place other than baggage. 1 lbs difference will affect the flight. My dog if doesn't loose 2lbs will cause me to pay $225 on Hawaiian to $640.00 per way...they are weighing carryons now so no getting around it. Other airlines cheaper for dog but 3 times the cost of my flight and I still have to go to the Big Island. No X large crates interisland. A outfit out of LA does send dogs to Honolulu for good price on Tuesdays at 2am if she is near there and it is a cargo plane that puts dogs in first class area. I would go through them if near LA and small dog.

Make a reservation through Cargo on Hawaiian at least including your mothers ticket to reserve spot for dog. Only 2 to 3 allowed per flight. If not with passenger again the price goes up. Also if it is a short nosed breed only certain dates are allowed to ship dogs. Meaning Boxer, Pug etc.....

You can fly into Kona and Maui now also but won't go into those regs unless asked.

Good luck I figure I will be into my dog if going cargo about $3500 with all prep and flight round trip.

There is also another way to possible do this by anexity serpertation for quauratne done also but it it fails your mom's dog would be in Honolulu or interislands for more than $2000 for the 120 days in a kennel. Not Many airlines take dogs Hawaiian, NW/Delta and Continantel is it no Alaskan airlines will take dogs. LA , SF and Seattle are the major hubs for flying dogs.

Ohh and BTW this is only good for 36 months then repeat process again. The entry to Hawaii is only $165 in Honolulu but make sure if interisland pently of time to go through process of quarautine and get manually dog in crate can not let out to interisland flights which means moving across airport to interisland check in is my understanding. I will let you know mid Dec if not the case.
quote:
Originally posted by NW friend

Crate and dog with bedding must be under 70lbs otherwise must ship cargo and price will triple.

My dog was 80 without -United didn't charge anything extra.
Our dog was 75 and also flew at the normal rate on United. I'd strongly encourage you to fly direct to Kona from the mainland...why put your pup through the excitement of an additional layover delay and takeoff/landing if you don't have too. Plus, from what I hear, the process in Honolulu is much more complicated than coming into Kona. When we came over to Kona, our pup had been retrieved, checked out and cleared by Dr. Jenny before our bags hit the carousel.
Yeah, Direct to Kona is really all I am considering.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
United's limit is 150#. $250 one way as excess baggage. SF to Kona.
United also has a direct flight from LAX that leaves at about 9 am and gets to Kona around 1 pm - so you miss the hottest part of the day and its associated pet travel concerns.
I didn't fly United because I am flying out of Sea Tac didn't want all the hours to go to CA and more cost. Longer Layovers for pup. no direct flights to Kona from SeaTac that would take a dog. Delta/NW and United more doubled my plane ticket price up to $1000 for flight but it was only $200 to $250 for crate and dog, plus the $165 interisland to Hilo, if didn't go direct. Hawaiian cheap flight less than $450 round trip (I go back in May) but $$225 for crate and dog or $640 one way if over 70 lbs. No Thanksgiving Dinner for pup.

Sad He has always been underweight becuase of energy and he finally put on weight this fall no normal. Thought I could have him go back to "normal" for him in a couple of months...when I made the reservation. He is 72 lbs now with crate. Thinking that would also cut the flight time down and price almost half. Believe me I wanted to fly direct to Kona but at this time it didn't work. If someone can correct me I would change my flight on the way back..too late to change paperwork now.

I couldn't go earlier in Dec because 120 day hadn't past can't go till Mid Dec(due to misimformed vets - wrong chips- didn't know you had to wait three weeks after last rabies shot if new, never saw that on paperwork) so got on the cusp for Holiday prices..If I waited till Jan probable could have gotten cheaper flights with other airlines. I had planned on being in Hawaii in November so didn't want to wait until Jan, still haven't seen any direct flights from Sea Tac. I wish Alaska would carry pets hopfully someday with direct flight to Kona or someone else would fly direct to Kona from Sea Tac. I have a two hour drive before even getting to the airport so I am trying to keep the time down - let him out before boarding- although he is good in a crate if have too for 12 hours.

Just recently I believe these rules have changed. Airlines are really cracking down on weight to save costs of fuel. I couldn't believe they weighed my friends carryon - normal size and he had to take out a sweatshirt out of his carryon less than 10 days ago because it was 26lbs vrs allowed 25lbs. Never seen that before. Wasn't like that last year or spring. I normally fly Hawaiian but mainly Alaska since it started last year to Kona.

Now I pray that a cold snap doesn't hit.. It should be fine but have seen it colder than 20 degrees in am at Sea Tac in Dec.. didn't know that rule also till talked to Hawaiian ticket counter.. unless vet puts on paperwork good to fly 20 degrees they won't fly dog if colder than 45 degrees. I am sure it will be colder than 45 degrees. When I get the process down I am sure it will be just fine. Firsts for everything.

Wish me luck and good luck to anyone else flying a critter. Aloha