Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you first arrive.. where to live?
DH works/lives in Kona during the week...in the upper elevation (above HWY190) it is a lot like Illinois woods in May or Sept. (OK, that helps not many...but Sputnut will know) down toward the ocean there is some humidity, but not so much rain, so not much vegetation...& a lot of black lava (hence the temps are higher)... but still enough humidity (40-60%) to sweat..... but that answer depends...some of Kona gets quite a bit of rain... esp the coffee belt...kinda in the order of IL... & areas like Kawaihae harbor is DRY - less than 10", & the wind can whip away anything on you, inc. your breath at times...so can feel parching....

The big reason we are not LOVE KONA type people is the VOG - my nose does not like it one bit...& neither of us like the pace & tourism of that side...the HIlo side is more ag.... pace is more to what we are used to (waving to the neighbor cars that pass, blowing the breeze with the clerk....that sort of pace).

If we HAD to both live in Kona, we would have chosen the upper area where hubby rents for nice location, climate not too hot & VOG not too annoying...but still we have love the quantity & quality of the cultural offering here, & have not found it as easy to meet the assortment of people as over on the east side... oh & for you guys, Hilo is the only Walgreens (believe or not, my 1st job was a PDQ call operator for them, when I started college I was in their computer dept., small world!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - by Carey - 08-25-2013, 11:41 AM