Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations?
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

I know a Hawaiian lady (how Hawaiian is she?) she is so Hawaiian, that she only gives leis that she makes herself. And by make, I mean the entire process from hand selecting and harvesting every leaf/flower/component that makes up the lei and making it. She believes giving any other type of lei is insincere.

And she uses that "getting lei'd" comment all the time.

It is indeed a treasure to receive a lei from someone who made it themselves. I make all my lei, tailored for the person and occasion, with the exception of ordering a pikake lei for my Mom who lives in Honolulu (her favorite). Let the truth be known, not only is it a "labor of love", but also a cost if you buy one (some of us have to feed mo'opuna, etc. [Smile])

The various versions of lei making can be found in "Ka Lei", which was written by a master lei maker, Marie McDonald. (For copious free time reading and learning only. Explanations of the meaning of each flower, etc.) For example, never give someone a hala lei, is what we learned from kupuna.

LOVE jade lei. Wish we had some in our yard. No smell, however, magnificent. Blue or red.

Have a lovely evening all. Mahalo for the discussion. JMO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - by missydog1 - 08-22-2014, 05:53 AM
RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - by missydog1 - 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - by opihikao - 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - by dmbwest - 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM