Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean
We have biked/hiked each week for the last 2 months, from both the Kalapana side & the Hawaii Volcanoes NP side (open 24hours a day, except for things like TS Darby)...we went on Monday at noon, from the NP side (weeks ago, I did call Hawaii CD & even talked to Darryls replacement Ed T. when Hawaii County "reopened" the viewing area after the lava reached the pali.... to make absolutely sure we could still bicycle...as we had already gotten NP OK... Ed wanted to talk, mainly to find out what bike gear we had been using!)

No matter which way you start from, plan on taking about 1.5-2X the time traveling UPWIND...esp on really blowing days (this is also true for those walking...)

Most days the NP side has upwind going in & you are blown back to your vehicle...Kalapna side you work hard to get back to up to that vehicle

Also remember that on the downwind side, there is VOG...and near the flow it can be really dense & hazardous (the NP guys all have respirators...)

Bring plenty of water.... we have found that at least 1/2 gal per person & drink it!....less & you will be hurting the next day.... and have more water in your vehicle (if nothing else, for a quick rinse off...those roads are really dusty!)

Monday there were those that were crossing over the flow...the crust on this flow was less than 12 hours old.... you can fill in the blanks from there....(I am not in any rush to see if I can dip my foot in lava.... so I enjoy the flow on the side I chose to go out on...)
That said, Monday, the better entry viewing was on the Kalapana side (based on videos at the site on little phones & cameras...some by flow crossers)

ADD: the gravel road is fairly smooth, we have hiked & biked both sides day & night...but in the NP, the gravel CoC road has had very little vehicle traffic to pack down the gravel & there are some really deep loose gravel areas...we try to stay on the vehicle tracks, but sometimes you will be down in the gravel & sometimes that is when you are trying to climb up a slope on the road & you can come to a dead stop with the wind... this even happens to the park guys that do this as a part of their job...(take this as a great opportunity to enjoy the sights around you, get a breath & decide if you will ride or walk your bike out of the gravel stop)
I look at this as more of a bike/hike on really windy days...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Carey - 07-27-2016, 08:07 PM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by taropatch - 07-27-2016, 09:14 PM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 07-31-2016, 06:17 AM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 08-01-2016, 04:39 AM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 08-02-2016, 05:43 PM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 08-02-2016, 07:12 PM
RE: Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean - by Guest - 08-03-2016, 03:06 AM