Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching theives - tracking devices are cheap now
quote:
Originally posted by rbakker

Hi Hunt, we are about to install Ring Floodlight.
Could you please share your experience, tips etc.

As for tracking, I have just purchased a vyncs ($80 a year) for my car. Works great!

I wasn't terribly impressed with it, though admit I haven't mastered all of its features. I'll be going back to try to get it working better, so will post updates.

From what I do know: First we were using it only with wifi, not through a smart phone carrier. We had an android tablet. The floodlight itself is bright, and the motion sensor seems accurate and sensitive. The siren alarm was a bit of a disappointment since it's not loud enough, even the neighbors couldn't hear it. I guess it would be enough to scare someone off though. There doesn't seem to be a way to trigger the alarm only by motion sensing. You need to do that through the app (Ringapp), and it takes a while to do it. (I may be wrong about this.) Not a good thing if your home is being invaded.

You're also supposed to be able to communicate with the person through the floodlight, which we couldn't get to work very well, or at all effectively.

Once the motion sensor is triggered, it records video automatically, which could be useful to give to police.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of a mixed bag of features that only sort of worked. For $250 I think there should be more and better.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Catching theives - tracking devices are cheap now - by Hunt Stoddard - 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM