Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my heart is still in Hawaii
Aloha, just wanted to say hi to everyone on Punaweb. My friend told me about this forum. Some of you might think I'm crazy, but what the heck I will share my story. I lived on Oahu for 5 years as a kid, and still believe I left part of my heart in Hawaii the moment I left. I have always missed Hawaii, and sometimes get this homesick feeling, and feel this need and pull back to Hawaii. I have been living in Kansas the past 20 years. Married a local girl here and have a nice family. My wife has been listening to me for years about what it's like in Hawaii. So for that reason we are considering a move to Hilo or Puna town in a couple years. Now I am realistic. Right now after reading the boards it doesn't seem to be a good time to move with the job situation. And I realize that it isn't gonna happen right now. I need a job, and my wife needs a job, we aren't wealthy and don't have alot of savings to just live off of. But I am coming here to meet new people and hopefully get some advice about moving to the area in the future.

My wife and I both have bachelor's degrees, she may have a master's before we move there. Her degree is in Social Work and mine is in Sociology though I have been working in IT for over 10 years. I have been checking Hilo Herald-Tribune but haven't seen much in the way of jobs. Do they show all the classifieds on their website? I know that some places only show some of the jobs, but will print a more extensive list in the printed paper. Just curious.

My wife and I live in a small town in Kansas, population about 27,000, the next largest town is 30 mins away with a population of about 50,000, the closest larger city is about an hour away. The city we live in has been known as the Harlem of Kansas or simply as Junktown. LOL! But we love it! It's a little rough around the edges, but the people are real, honest, and the nicest people in the world. We try to get involved in the community whenever we can, with community dinner's, cancer walk, fundraising, etc. For us it's important to be in there working with the community, trying to do good work. We like it here because it has that smalltown feel, but yet it has most of the things we need. I have heard life is the same there in east Hawaii. I don't like big city life, I thought I did at one time, but then I got older and started a family. That kind of life does really appeal to me any longer. Hilo and Puna seem to offer the best of both worlds.

We are both mixed race. I am half white half latino, my wife is half white half black. We don't really care or pay attention to race, but I know that at least on Oahu when I lived there that haoles sometimes had problems. Some have thought I was half korean, or samoan, and many people have thought my wife was samoan. I am wondering how life on the big island would be like for us, especially our kids.

Anyway that is my intro. Anyone care to introduce themself? Any advice to a new guy in town or better yet a new family in town? Anyone think I am crazy for feeling like my heart is still in Hawaii after 20 years? Any idea about the need for Social Workers or IT guys in the area? Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
my heart is still in Hawaii - by cruz - 02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by John S. Rabi - 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by cruz - 02-15-2009, 03:36 PM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by Johnnycake - 02-15-2009, 03:42 PM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by PaulW - 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by nanasohana - 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by Chuysmom - 02-16-2009, 02:30 AM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by TheodoreJay - 02-16-2009, 04:58 AM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by John S. Rabi - 02-16-2009, 06:19 AM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by Guest - 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM
RE: my heart is still in Hawaii - by cruz - 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM