Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est.
Devany, do NOT get UNDER the bed! Get in the "shadow" of the bed, or better, a counter or larger, solid piece of furniture, lengthwise, facedown with your hands over your head. By the shadow, I mean the side of the bed or counter, right up against the length of it so you would be in the 45 degree angled "shadow" and the top of counter or bed or whatever would catch objects falling from above (beams, roofing, whatever). This is what we were also told in the county emergency training many of us have gone through.

I was very close to the epicenter of the October 2006?7? earthquake and my friend got up and stood in the arch of a doorway which is what we all used to be told was the safe thing to do. I watched as objects from upstairs crashed down all around him and he was lucky to dodge. If his house was less stable, beams could have knocked him down and out. Right after this 6.7 EQ, authorities told us about the "shadow" defense.

Also, re: EQ's felt in Hilo...it depends where you are in Hilo. The first EQ I ever felt was on Mohouli Street, just up from Cafe 100. (My friend and I thought it was US causing the windows to rattle.) People living in the Halai Hill area of Hilo REALLY feel EQs a lot. So don't know who's saying Hilo doesn't usually feel EQs but they're not very knowledgeable.

BTW, I live in Nanawale, Zone 2, and have had homeowners insurance thru State Farm for the 30 years (this June) I've been here. But after the Lava Zone maps were created and the insurance companies got hit year after year with hurricane damages, mainly on the Mainland but a couple in this state as well, most insurance companies quit insuring homes in Lava Zones 1 and 2. Homeowners on Kauai and Oahu also had trouble getting insurance after hurricanes Iniki and Iwa. That's why the state had to come up with its own insurance plan. (State Farm told me they were no longer issuing insurance to homes in Nanawale but I was grandfathered in since I had been with them from the beginning.) It's my understanding (not known for sure) that all homeowners can get fire and hurricane insurance through the state-sponsored insurance program. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ;>)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by Guest - 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-07-2009, 06:14 AM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-07-2009, 07:51 AM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by missydog1 - 03-09-2009, 05:23 AM
RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - by frankiestapleton - 03-10-2009, 06:50 AM