Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How real is the rascism ?
Bad reaction too her meds??
She has Edited and sanitized her post since we both commented , i do have a copy of the original statement e-mail me privately for a copy she is a poster person for the topic of this thread" 'How Real is Rascism"
quote:
Originally posted by deserteagle50ae

Read what AMRITA wrote in the thread about the kalapana murder victim,towards the end of her thread,that should answer you question.

“petitor veritatis” one who seeks the truth
Punababa, just keep stirring the pot, is it really worth it to prove a point!
There are some historians that believe that there were people living in Hawaii before the Hawaiians arrived, and that this race of people were eliminated by the Hawaiians. Some speculate that these original inhabitants were of smaller stature in size. Has anyone else heard of this ?

quote:
Originally posted by Green

There are some historians that believe that there were people living in Hawaii before the Hawaiians arrived, and that this race of people were eliminated by the Hawaiians. Some speculate that these original inhabitants were of smaller stature in size. Has anyone else heard of this ?

The menehune was the first that came to mind, and then I found this:

(*Snipped - more at link)

AD 400 - Estimated to be the time of the first explorers to Owhyhee from southeast Asia and the Marquesas Islands, a gentle people free of class subjugation and war. I have personally seen their intricate work on the exquisite fish ponds of Kauai. Sometimes called the Melanesian Polynesians and even sometimes thought to have been the mythical Menehuni of the Polynesian Hawaiian legends.

http://www.hawaii-inns.com/history/

Then, there is this historic belief of where Hawaiians came from (in short, via Tahiti):

(*Snipped - More at link)

The first settlers of the Hawaiian Islands likely came from the Marquesas Islands some time between A.D. 200 and A.D. 500. The Marquesas Islands are a ring of ten steep volcanic islands about 2,500 miles (4,023 km) southeast of the Hawaiian Islands, 740 miles (1,191 km) northeast of Tahiti, and 3,700 miles (5,955 km) west of Peru.

The ancient Polynesian navigators who discovered the Hawaiian Islands likely began their west-to-east journeys when westerly winds replaced the prevailing easterly trade winds. If they failed to find land, then they could wait for the trades to return and carry them home.

http://www.hawaiianencyclopedia.com/firs...hawaii.asp

As to the "menehune", this is a good explanation, which also ties into the Marquesas travelers:

http://www.hawaiianencyclopedia.com/the-...t-race.asp

And this is mirrors the tales we were told by kupuna about the menehune:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/menehune.html

In Hawaii, it is the mischievous Menehune who are said to haunt the deep forests or the mountains of Pu'ukapele ("Hills of Pele"). They come out mostly at night to play tricks on people, or to serve them if they feel that way inclined.

The mythology of the Menehune is as old as the beginnings of Polynesian history. Some say that the great god Maui himself, was one of the tiny creatures. When the first Polynesians arrived in Hawaii, they found dams, fish-ponds, and even Heiaus (temples), all presumably built by the Menehune who were already there, living in caves.

The creatures are said to be about two feet high, although some have been seen as small as six inches, capable of fitting in the palm of someone's hand. They are always naked, but the long straight hair that falls to their knees keeps them warm and discreet. Apparently no two of them are the same, and they can be so moody as to be malicious and dangerous one day, and simply harmless the next. But they are always tricky, and therefore should be avoided, unless a special favor is absolutely needed of them.

Sharing some of our kupuna beliefs about the menehune: Do not cut hair or nails at night, menehune takes it for kolohe spells; Do not make plans at night (ie. go fishing, menehune will hear and chase away fish, etc).

I always believed menehune were real growing up. [Smile] JMO. (Apologies for the long, perhaps off topic post) Enjoy the day all!
Great job Opihikoa, I was very captivated throughout. My first thought also was of the menehune, and the petroglyphs in my back yard at ruddles in Puako. They were still indeed alive when I was a kieki, I still chant. " WHERE EVA WE GO'O PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW, WHO WE ARE?. SO WE TELL THEM, WE ARE THE MENEHUNE. WHERE EVA WE GO'O PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW'W, WHO WE ARE?. SO WE TELL THEM. WE ARE THE MENEHUNE, WHERE EVA WE GO'O." Lot's of laughs and yes very real in some ways, never really felt alone at night on the coast in Hawaii.
What about the ancient Lemurians ?
Opihikao, it sounds hauntingly similar to what my Irish grandmother called "the wee people." Smile

http://visit.elysiumgates.com/weepeople.html
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
In 2003 archeologists in Indonesia discovered what some thought was a new species or H. sapiens variant that was very short, about 3 feet (1 meter) tall. Various skeletons and implements were variously dated from 74,000 to 13,000 years according to the article below.

At the time I read about the discovery I wondered if there was some ancient connection with the menehune legends. Just as many of the early Hawaiian settlers seemed to be escaping from war and subjugation (according to one theory), it's not hard to imagine a group of very small humans migrating and eventually finding their way here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis
"WE ARE THE PEE-WEE'S, WHEREEVA WE GO'O PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW'W, WHO WE ARE?.SO WE TELL THEM, WE ARE THE PEE-WEE'S, THE MIGHTY MIGHTY PEE-WEE'S." I happen to be Irish also so that was also chanted, LOL. Usually the menehune's carried torches of fire about three feet high and the Pee-Wee's well lets just say they carried their light from with in (glow)in the dark kind. So you could tell which tradition was being practiced from a safe distance. Love how we can get off topic, yet stay related enough to lighten the dark racial tensions.
Racism is every where unfortunately, Back east there are still towns and schools that will not or do not let blacks in to. (Real red necks). West coast looks at renters or jobless as some parasite. (ECONMIC) racial tension. Growing up out here whiter than most I was able to LIVE through the kill -----days. This made me stronger, more exceptive, and taught me to be open-minded. My best friends in college were black and my grandmother back east would not let them stay over or even come in the house. At least I have always been welcome in here as long as I take my shoes off and am willing to listen, I always felt at ease. Respect everyone, treat someone how you would like to be treated. If you stink eye then you will receive the stink-eye with the whats up. PEACE-OUT.