Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito Control & Mosquito-borne Disease
I spent 15 years in Alaska. From Barrow to Ketchikan. I tried everything. EVERYTHING.

The most effective thing I found is 99% DEET. Some other things are less useful, like eating raw garlic, though they are mildly effective.

When I see people post their other cures (we had tried them all), all I can think of is... that's so cute.
Permethrin is only for treating clothes. I don't think it's that effective against mosquitoes since those that land on exposed skin don't touch it, it's more against ticks.

Some people prefer lemon eucalyptus over deet, but while it has a more pleasant smell in general, it makes me sick to my stomach after a while. I noticed the label also says not to reapply more than twice a day (and it becomes ineffective after only about an hour), while for 25% deet (which usually lasts 2-3 hours) it says up to six times a day is okay. It doesn't wash off easily, either. Just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean it's less toxic...
One of the main considerations my wife and I had when purchasing property was the mosquito factor. We chose a piece that had no standing water issues and unrestricted trades. We have very few mosquitos and enjoy spending a lot of time on our unscreened lani.
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Interesting news; perhaps a step toward more effective prevention.

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/...to-vampire

Speaking of prevention, last week I was over at a friend's place (elevation 1,200 ft, Puna) and we were mobbed by thousands of mosquitoes. He commented this is the worst he has seen them in 15 years at that site and wondered if the wet weather was to account. I think it more likely 15 years of growth on hundreds to thousands of bromeliads (some of them huge, others only approx one foot in diameter but hundreds of them) close around the house explains the population surge. To check, however: are others noticing an unusual spike in mosquito population density in the absence of any other confounding factors such as bromiliads &/or water-filled containers?

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(