Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sunday Morning Walk In Puna
Anecdote: A few years back, a cop had to come to our home in HPP bc I called about finding a bunch of mail that had been stolen from the mailboxes on Maku'u. Our neighbor's little Boston terrier came prancing up our driveway. The cop stops talking to me and says, "That your dog?" I say no, it's our neighbors. He's coming over for a treat. He makes the rounds." The cop says, "Which neighbor? I should cite him. People let their dogs out, off leash, then it's us they call when someone gets hurt." I say, "Oh don't cite him. I'll tell him you were here and said so. This little guy's a lover, not a fighter, but I get it, no problem." Cop let it go as long as he thought it was going to be taken care of. I told the neighbor about it. He never took action. Within a year, that dog was killed by pigs.
How about a small can of bright spray paint. Hard to remove and makes it easy to I.D. the dog later. Of course the humane thing would be to keep the spray away from the face.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Originally posted by DTisme: Within a year, that dog was killed by pigs.

So sorry to hear that DTisme..Poor baby. I had no idea pigs kill dogs unless dogs are chasing pigs in a hunting situation.

Sorry this happened to you HOTPE...not only for the dog incident but the racist remarks. I have gotten these sorts of remarks only it was by white people in the mainland and abroad. It's not acceptable under any circumstances. After years of racist remarks, I learned to let it go...chalk it up to ignorance and ignorance comes in many colors. Hawaii's the only place I've lived where I'm not reminded about my race, except by the occasional white person. For some of you, this may be your 1st time experiencing racism.

My husband got bit sev times by a chow dog when exiting a property after doing a job. The dog was chained when he entered but was loose later. When he got home he called the police and they took his report. They asked if he wanted to file charges which he replied no, thinking repercussions might occur. The police paid them a visit and gave a warning. Of course this followed w/a trip to emergency care and a tetanus shot. The property mgr was notified and the people got moved off the property. My husband loves dogs but has PTSD now.

While doing NW patrol on my bike and getting my ankles nipped at on a particular road, I started carrying a lime green water pistol filled w/vinegar water. After spraying the 2 dogs in the eyes, they didn't come after me the next time.
I have had success with water/vinegar spray as well. I'm thinking about adding a strong food coloring to it.

It's not just the pits, though they are scary. It's the psycho chihuahua packs that annoy me the most.

Since the owners don't seem to care much, I think the next time these particular dogs breed and the puppies join them in the road, I'll just scoop up the puppies and take them to the shelter or something.
1 island 2 another