Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DUI Checkpoint Blitz - HCPD
The bigger problem (as mentioned above) is that the DUI penalties aren't sufficient. In some countries, a DUI results in permanent license revocation.

Alternately, require key escrow (or proof of alternate transportation) for any public consumption. If you have to turn in your car keys and take a taxi home, it's really hard to DUI.

Run a public checkpoint as a "decoy", use roving patrols to actually catch DUIs.

Provide meaningful public transportation so that people who drink don't have to drive at all.

That the State doesn't consider better, more efficient, and/or more cost-effective solutions merely indicates that "solving the problem" isn't as important as "having the problem". Follow the money: clearing up a DUI takes years of dealing with the system, usually with the assistance of a lawyer. If the DUI "problem" were eliminated, it would put lots of people out of work, can't have that.....
Has anyone ever seen an actual tabulation of how many arrests for actual DUI happens on average for any road block?

What if, instead of a roadblock, say 20- 25 officers (typically the headcount I have seen at a road block) and they hide down the streets in every direction after say Luquin's closes.

Chances are, from what I have seen leaving Luquin's at closing time, they would have about a 90% arrest rate and remove about 20 drunks off the road - all for about 2 hours work start to finish.

Next time pick some other establishment in varying places around the Island.

Now, most will say that's entrapment.

I am surprised the insurance companies have not explored significantly reduced rates for voluntary start up interlocks?!

Do you ever see the day where it will be a mandated factory installed device?

At one time, blinkers on a car were an extra cost option!
If you don't want to be stopped don't stop. In fact get off your keyboards and take action. You could give the cop the finger as you race past to spice things up a bit.
From my experience... It's amazing to me how many people get DUI's from these stops, and yet it's usually posted when and where the stops are going to be.
I think it's a good idea for the island. I've seen WAY too many people driving around with 40's in their cup holders.
Andy,
there are plenty of exceptions to the constitution, the most basic example of which would be the yelling fire in a theater. You should be aware of that. I'm not saying I'm totally comfortable with the DUI road block exception but SCOTUS is.

Some of you folk that think everything is about the money need to back off on whatever you're smoking or drinking. DUI enforcement is not a money maker for the agency or the county. It's expensive. The defense lawyers are the only ones making money on it. DUIs clog the court system which is already badly overloaded. The agency may get a grant to start a DUI unit but generally after a very few years the agency has to find local money to continue it.

The enforcement, including road blocks, is not done to intimidate or harass the public. It is a direct result of public demand and SCOTUS approved of that method. As to whether or not the Hawaii courts have ruled on it's compliance with the Hawaii constitution, I have no idea.

Lurking outside the bars at closing to pop DUIs is not considered sporting. We called it sandbagging. If you can actually see the parking lot area there are also some liability issues, as in "Officer, why did you let him get in his car and leave the parking lot when you could see he was drunk." This after he's run over the drunk that left on foot. I did sometimes quite obviously lurk, as that tended to prevent the inevitable parking lot fights between the drunks as they left. Also been known to drag a drunk out of his car and back into the bar and chew the bartender for letting someone that drunk leave without a driver or cab, and them make him call one. Yeah I know, Police Abuse.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Thank you, oink, for an injection of reality.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Oink, did you take the drunks keys?
Yelling fire in a theater is a two part issue, one you don't own the theater and second you endanger others right of safety when you cry wolf like that. It is in effect an act of aggression against others, again in effect unconstitutional and if someone were hurt you would be liable. So I really don't think it is the same thing, I am talking about peoples rights being violated who did nothing wrong, Im not protecting the drunks, they are liable for breaking the law already.

No doubt DUIs cost the taxpayers money, the police and courts are not paying for it if you did not know. Beyond the DUIs, the police get extra taxpayer money for the checkpoints, special overtime, special grants and beyond that most of the money is made off of the simple tickets as a result of the roadblock. It does not cost the courts or police anything, in fact it grows their scope and entitles them to a larger organization and more taxpayer money. It is about the money, think about it logically. More judges, more prosecutors, more police, more overtime, more simple tickets and the complete subservience of the people paying for it wether they did anything wrong or not.

There is your injection of reality, its unfortunate that the taxpayers are to stupid to realize they are being duped twice.

I don't know why the taxpayer would not want the patrols that serve a double purpose of catching more drunks while also actually having the police available as opposed to a resource intensive and unconstitutional checkpoint which has no evidence of benefitting the situation and lots of wasting resources and manpower. The same money and police could be more effectively used in another Constitutional manner that would be more effective. Stop doing what your told and think for yourself, all of you, please!!!

Aloha

Love, Peace, Compassion and Tolerance.
Let me know Oink if you did not get paid to do DUIs, or if the prosecutor did not get paid, or the judge. Hell I imagine your department might have even got more funding specifically for enforcing DUIs. If the police were working at the checkpoints for free, you might really have an argument that it is not about money, however we know they get special overtime. Where is the incentive to cut costs? Were is the incentive to use more effective regular patrols that don't pay special overtime and get special grants. How is the commanding officer going to get special overtime when he is not required to be present on regular patrols?

It could not possibly be about the money. /s
Lets get with reality here folks.
there are a few folks on here, that everytime I read their posts I think of this.

http://archive.perfectduluthday.com/beat...-horse.gif