Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How real is the rascism ?
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Back east there are still towns and schools that will not or do not let blacks in to.
I'd like to look into this. Do you have the names of these towns & schools?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
LONACONING,MD. MIDLAND,MD. WESTMAR HIGH, FOMALLY VALLEY HIGH. Frostburg is a party college that gets crazy with cloth and shin-digs. West Virginia along the Patomic river has some towns to that still hold many grudges. Let's just say your kind people stick to your kind people and my kind people stick to my kind (attitude and words). The next sentence is usually "you all get that, done did that, so we don't talk of that." Now growing up here I have also seen and heard the worst though. My third grade year here in Pahoa EL my mouth would be taped shut and chair facing the corner during class at least once a week. I guess to keep the ----- quiet. I just happened to be the only ----- in the class at the time, and the only one to receive that kind of treatment. Maybe with all the remarks from classmates and teaching staff, can make one feel different or left out AT times?. My mother wrote the nastiest note to that teacher and Pahoa school. I would love to see it today. Bus rides to and from school were probably the worst for -----'s here in Hawaii, Many of my fights and suspensions came from problems on LONG bus rides.
gypsy, here is my experience in turn:

At six years old, Papa and Tutu sent me to a private "haole" school, then known as the "best school west of the rockies". I graduated from this "haole" school, better for the experiences, not just the education.

I was one of eight (8) Hawaiian students in the whole school. No one could pronounce my Hawaiian first name, including the teachers. Being teased for being a Hawaiian at school (by my peers), then called "haole" (because I went to my "haole" school) by "local" kids after school, hurt when growing up.

I learned to turn the insults hurled into life lessons that helped me when working in the real world years later.

There is a point where we realize human beings and the shortcomings each one has. In that light, we need to let go of the ignorance of the past, and focus on how we move forward as a people (ALL of us), given our Puna (and our State) is diverse.

My Papa always said, "We all put our pants on the same way. You are no better than anyone, and no one is better than you." Mahalo, Papa.

JMO, as a proud Hawaiian, with a bloody good education. [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

LONACONING,MD. MIDLAND,MD. WESTMAR HIGH, FOMALLY VALLEY HIGH.
Maybe I didn't understand your comment about these places not letting black people into their town or their school. I thought you meant blacks were physically barred from entering, is that what you meant? Because when I checked the census for Lonaconing, there are black, Hispanic, and Asian people living in the town as residents.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Please, let's not wander off into Maryland. This is Punaweb. Keep it Puna.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I judge people by their ignorance, stupidity, and intolerance.

Ironically, this proves to a productive use of racism -- epithets are a fantastic indicator of the speakers' mindset, especially when they're spoken with hatred.

Quote 1: "It's different than us! Let's hunt it down and kill it!" (Simpsons)

Quote 2: "When I go to LA, people think I'm Mexican, but when I go to Florida, suddenly I'm Cuban!" (Carlos Mencia)
Hereontheprimaledgetakestolongtowrrite, I am sorry for words that can be written and have such differantmeanings that the reader or reading can in no way be confirmed?.Away from the humor now, Statistics are in no way, shape or form necessarily the logistics. The very few who start their new years or school years of- " coon color"- no offence here this is the term used in that crapy part of our great nation- - aint there no more or they are on there way out, just passing through. Very sad, yet very true, you have to see it or feel it to know it.
OAKLAND OR, Sutherland OR, YONCALLA is really not much better on the west coast either. (more rednecks)and chewing tabacco. Its a lot of uneducated or "ignorance" shown to not only feel such a way but to go ahead and speak it, is like adding salt. j.m.o. Sorry if I offended anyone for that is not my intentions, nor could anyone besides myself possibly know, how I meant or felt about anything I may have wrote. Here is another fact though for Puna and across America about racial tension, we are better today than yesterday, we are the future when tomorrow has become today. Note to possible readers here though, My best friends growing up here were not the local ----- hater's, My best friends in college away were black and not my color of redneck. There is no room in my house for prejudice in any form including rich and poor.
Pathetic.....

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pathetic: opposite of genius: A genius once wrote that college universities were a complete waste of time and money and the only ones who attend are pathetic and looking to extend both. (more time=more$$).OFTEN a word used regularly within the criminal justice system. Interesting and thank you Sir." I do this for I am free." LOVE THE FORUM.
(Sigh...) Kaulana Na Pua, and please, all Hawai'i stand together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhibLQFebpQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pshdi51guPI

Enjoy the evening. Mahalo for the mana'o as we move forward.
JMHO.

ETA: Worth the fifteen (15) minutes of your life. Again, JMO. Respectfully.