Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
Eric,

"Not sure what can be done, tho, I think the law should step in and do something. If not, what's next? Protesters chaining themselves together to not let the trucks pass to go build it? "

I've been away but have, of course, been kept up to date about how things affect our own operations at the summit. I personally don't think it will get as far as people chaining themselves together. So far, the protesters have been polite and lawful, and it would not do their cause any good if they started doing things that could be considered illegal. I can't predict what will happen in the near-future, but that's my opinion.

They are allowing crews of existing facilities to get to the summit after asking some questions at the VIS. So far, I have heard of no confrontations and of course our own staff will not cause a confrontation, we have specific instructions on how to deal with the situation since we've gone through this before. It is, however, an awkward situation we have to ask staff to go through.

As for your comment about the TMT choosing elsewhere, it may be too late now that a commitment has been made, but will admit I was very surprised when the TMT chose Mauna Kea. Not scientifically, it was the best choice after all, but knowing they would face this kind of opposition whereas Chile would have welcomed the project with open arms.

Don't get me wrong, I think your comments are spot on, just not sure it'll go as far as illegal behaviour. Let's hope not.
Little girl on cover of paper ... Such BS !!!!! Ask her why she is there, what her sign means and why she not in school.

Best for our Keiki, agreed.
p.out
Tom, I respectfully disagree that they have done nothing illegal. Blocking access to a legally allowed route to the summit is against the law, whether they do it by chaining themselves to something or by the form of intimidation they are currently using. I repeat my earlier criticism of our spineless county government for allowing this to go unchallenged.
Chunkster - I won't argue, I don't know the law well enough. However, I think removing protesters on the pretext of unlawful behaviour is unlikely to help TMT's case or its progress. Maybe if some folk actually protested themselves, a protest against the protesters, then we might get somewhere? How about it? Are there enough Hawaiians around that support the TMT and what opportunities they bring to the island to make that possible? I suspect there are. However, I feel they are not the kind of people who could take time off to do what these protesters are doing.
"I feel they are not the kind of people who could take time off to do what these protesters are doing."

Tom, I don't want you to be linked to this but 'understood', agreed and you gaawd damm right !

Keep your kids in school, get a job and stop distracting good folks driving us all forward.

Pog - if you have any faults, I can tell you that an ability to read between the lines isn't one of them! Wink
+1 and call CPS ! ... Same answer for school days from these hypocrites with children 'protesting' by the library.

get - a
pog

I look at taking children to a non-violent protest as a civics field trip.
Agree da kine.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Dakine - Until OHA stops accepting lease/rent money from the telescopes, I do not think any development will stop. If anything, their greedy hands are encouraging more development.