Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Chance on a new topic of Moving to Puna?
VanIslander, don't swing too far the other way. Remember you're being given these warnings by people who already live here so the place can't be all that bad. I do agree that it's far more sensible to buy than build.
Do your research and take the plunge. Best climate in the world.
PaulW...
Make no mistake; if I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed Kona side. It is "all that bad". Bottom line, yes, it's mostly a haven for drunks, pot heads, meth/ice addicts, general mental cases, etc. That's a bottom line fact. I'd love it if we had sober folks move in here but at the same time, I'm not going to BS them otherwise about Puna.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
The grass is always greener on the other side. Except there is very little grass on the other side in this case, and it's brown. I hope you're able to make the move back one day soon (and I mean that in a nice way!).
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

Another wonderful thing is what I’ll simply cite as – the Hotel Puna factor. It isn’t so much a factor to those who are absentee owners but more applicable to those who go it fulltime. Regardless of your soberness level, Hotel Puna will unavoidably creep in; unfortunately most folks out here don't recognize it has.
I think I know that song ...

HOTEL PUNA

On a dark Puna highway, warm wind in my hair
pungent smell of patchouli, rising up through the air
ahead in the distance, Pu'u O'o's shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night

Pele stood in the doorway;
I heard the coqui frogs spell
And I was thinking to myself,
this could be heaven or this could be hell

Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the lava tubes,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the hotel Puna (Puna!)
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely space
Plenty of room at the hotel Puna (Puna!)
Any time of year, you can find it here

Her mind is mystically-twisted, she's gone around the bend,
(S)he got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that (s)he calls friends
How they dance at Kalani, sweet tropical sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the captain,
please bring me my whine
He said, we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine
And still those coquis are calling not so far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the hotel Puna (Puna!)
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely space
They livin it up at the hotel Puna (Puna!)
Wear your best disguise, bring your alibis

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the airport
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before

relax, said the Night Marchers,
We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

[8D]
PaulW,
LOL, Oh yeah... we can move to a better area and possibly will but in the meanwhile, I've got some projects to finish up here first. We'll see how things pan out in the future. We'll keep hoping to see the sanity level flip towards the positive. It is a pretty place otherwise.

2 thumbs up Kathy, hadn't seen that yet but perfectly fitting. ThanksSmile

Well, I just got back to the mainland from BI and closing on a prop in Nanwale. Does anyone have any general info on this area....I have met a few of my neighbors there and at least one of them seems to be sane.lol But my family tend to keep to ourselves for the most part but want to mingle with the local people, but it seems to be a mixed bag down there, and I guess until we can meet some people we can really trust, at least beyond the subdivision, we will be keeping to ourselves for the most part. We will be looking to make our move later this year. Seems that the local police there rarely arrive when needed or enforce laws to protect the people.
BIB, you may want to do a preliminary "Search" function with Nanawale as the key term, there are 18 pages of threads here that have something about the subdivision.
We have many friends that live & like it there, It is one of the smaller, but still pretty large subdivisions in Puna, Like most subdivisions here, every block is slightly different, both in microclimate & personality. Nanawale does have bus service into the subdivision,
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

2 thumbs up Kathy, hadn't seen that yet but perfectly fitting. ThanksSmile

Thanks for the inspiration to have fun with a song parody. [Big Grin]

I'm sorry to hear the neighborhood has gone to substance abuser and crazy.
It's a very beautiful area and it deserves so much better.

I don't know a lot of people in Kona, but I do have a group I'm involved with that takes me to meetings over there, and it always strikes me (coming from East Hawai'i) to see people living utterly conventional mainland style lives, in suburbia style. The main nod to Hawai'i being an aloha pattern on a dress or shirt, saying Aloha and Mahalo, serving pupu's instead of snacks.

They're good-hearted people, really nice, but they don't assimilate much at all. OTOH, I have some envy of their cocoon with little or no worry about crime and very little stress in their lives other than the cares of getting older.
Of course this is not ALL Kona, just a segment, mostly retirees.
Re; Nanawale,

Yes it is a mixed bag, but that's much true of any place.
My wife and I live here. We truly enjoy it. We live in the back area and board up against the large ag lots. So our road is quite for the most part.
We do tend to cocoon ourselves , being busy with our property but have met very nice people here in Nanawale, as well as Puna in general.
Nanawale is very convenient to travel in many different directions, close to everything. There are still stands of nice forest areas which makes for nice walks and bike rides. Also lots of birds.
There is one frustrating aspect that we have to deal with and that is there are so many loose dogs that we cannot walk our dog, because of the consequences of what could happen. However from what I have heard that's true in most neighborhoods....and probably will stay true for another generation or two.
Hope you enjoy your new property. Would be happy to answer anything you may want to ask about Nanawale area.
enjoy .

riverwolf
riverwolf