Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How real is the rascism ?
seen more racism and closed minded folks reflected this and one other hot post on this forum then ever on the island - makes me wonder just how representative of our local population the posters really are.... lots of game / role playing imho Me - take it all with a 40lb bag of salt, always consider the sources of your reality - grin
Bullwinkle-
Exactly. What I have read about racism here is not what I see in Puna. Something doesn't add up.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I sense an extremist vibe lately - hoping things back to a rational level soon - some one / some group trying to show puna in bad light? motive? beyond sensationalism?
In response to Green's page 7 question, "Has anyone else heard of this?" I saw a program on the History Channel, (America Unearthed - Lost Tribe of the Menehune), where Dr. Michael Pietrusewsky, of UOH Manoa discussed the theory. http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=11749
FWIW, in Tahiti "menehune" referred to the class of serfs, the larger part of the population in traditional society. Hawaii didn't have such a group, at least not at the time of European contact. So it may be derived from social changes that had happened centuries earlier.
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

seen more racism and closed minded folks reflected this and one other hot post on this forum then ever on the island - makes me wonder just how representative of our local population the posters really are.... lots of game / role playing imho Me - take it all with a 40lb bag of salt, always consider the sources of your reality - grin

A lot from new commenters as well...odd that.
Midnight Rambler,
The Maka'ainana were the "serf" class in Hawaii, under the ahupua'a system they were the labor class who farmed, fished, fought and built things, all under the direction of the kahunas who were the advisors to the ali'i. This system was in effect when Cook came, although after he united the Hawaiian Islands, King Kamehameha weakened the relationship between maka'ainana and the ali'i and the close ties to ahupua'a suffered. There was a lower class of "untouchables" who were the kauwa, they were prisoners of war, convicted criminals, and often were used for human sacrifice. It has been theorized by some anthropologists that they included the last remnants of the original populations of the islands.

Somewhere I saw a copy of a census from the early 20th century where over 300 people identified themselves as menehune, it might have been in the Bishop museum archives.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Saw a post the other day by a person named AMRITA on another thread,if that wasnt a classic case of racism,she edited her post shortly after.
nativekamaaina, What is your point? I am curious.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
My point is,racism of anykind towards any race by anyone sucks! They should keep their personal thoughts and feelings too themselves.