Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointless thread
I get a blank page. Then again (and on-topic), it hardly matters what "analysts" at Forbes think, because Hawaii always finds yet another way to ignore the laws or make up new rules.

Might as well quit your job, file for benefits, and spend the day surfing.
spend the day surfing

Eddie Would Go:
Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational is on, huge swell expected Wednesday
http://khon2.com/2016/02/07/eddie-aikau-...dnesday-5/

(and that... is how you drop in the thread, brah)

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Convincing Hawaiians of the value of TMT is like trying to convince chimpanzees of the value of gold. People place no value on what they lack the capability to comprehend on even the most basic level. And when those they hate show they value it, it becomes a target.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Convincing Hawaiians of the value of TMT is like trying to convince chimpanzees of the value of gold...

Conversely it can be said, convincing a haole of the sacredness of Mauna Kea, or an Hawaiian's integral relationship with the land, is like trying to convince chimpanzees of the value of gold. Though I don't see any reason to be as denigrating as imagtek so I won't put too fine a point on it.
imagtek,

That's quite repulsive. Your opinion is not a view shared by the observatories and does not help the TMT's cause.
Convincing Hawaiians of the value of TMT

Nations, cultures, and individuals all may have diverse values between and among themselves. It's the spice of life.
That said, many Hawaiians support and value the TMT.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This is why Puna really needs a death match Thunderdrome. Two go in, one comes out. It would be a fantastic tourist draw, bringing in tons of money.

The state has a job opening for a TMT hearing officer. As they say, it's going down.

The state is looking for someone to serve as the Hearing Officer for the contested case (administrative trial) about the TMT. Qualifications required:
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/blog/2016/02/05/nr16-027/

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Thought this article was worth reading. At least the author is upfront( in favor of building TMT ) from the beginning and yet able to appreciate or articulate peoples views from both sides of the issue.

http://www.science20.com/robert_inventor..._it-164562

After much soul searching I have decided that my remarks in support of TMT crossed the line and I apologize.

I rode my motorcycle almost to the top of Maunakea today to think this over. The bike is old and quit running below the summit due to the altitude, but I got high enough to get a feel for the place. The word sacred was invented for places like that. It was also invented to describe the night sky. People of different traditions build things in sacred places for different reasons.

My feelings are very strong in support of TMT because interstellar travel is pointless if it is not directed to habitable planets. TMT is the only instrument capable of the detailed studies required to accurately characterize the habitability of extrasolar planets. Without TMT, we will be blind to half the universe at this level of investigation. Interstellar travel is closer than people think. A breakthrough is imminent.

But I was wrong to let emotional feelings cross the line into hostility. That was wrong and bad and we humans have a lot of work to do there. I am the chimpanzee, except now I have offended chimps. You can't win.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Imagtek, good morning to you.
Sounds like a great bike ride you experienced atop Maunakea, mahalo for sharing.