Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Kenoi indicted today of theft
Probably a simple answer. Only 200k people on the island and Billy and the judges all have children and families. People know each other.
Sounds like the judges are doing the correct thing. They are too close to him or connected in some way so they are recusing themselves so an outside, hopefully impartial judge can take the case. This is probably a good thing.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Only 200k people on the island and Billy and the judges all have children and families.

Does anyone know of another instance when every judge on the island recused him/herself from a case, government, business, or personal? If not, and Billy is the only one, or one of a very few, then this situation would seem to go beyond the mutual association of friends, family, or children attending the same schools.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Billy's a lawyer, of course he would know the judges.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
All of This happening now reminds me of an article from about 4 years ago, lets hope they have cleaned up since this.

http://www.ilind.net/2012/09/13/what-the...fireworks/

Watching the Hawaii judicial system at work for our community it represents, Should be interesting. At least the building is New with good Air Conditioning, (thanks to the taxpayers).
Why would all the judges on the island feel as if they couldn't do their jobs well for this important case? Who elects our judges? the people, the mayor, or other? So sorry for my ignorance, I feel the need to learn this now.

Edited to add link that answers a few of my own questions, mahalo.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-shmu...24974.html

I know someone whose family member died from blood poisoning. He was in jail for traffic tickets and the jail kept sending him to Hilo Medical Center because he was sick, and HMC kept sending him back to the jail. By the time the hospital decided to keep him it was too late. The family tried to sue the hospital but no attorney would take the case because they didn't want to sue the hospital or the jail of their home island. Maybe the judges don't want to be involved in a criminal case of their own mayor. It would probably serve justice better if the judge was from another state, but I don't know if that's possible.
Assuming he didn't write this by himself, it explains a lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kenoi

"Kenoi worked as a Legislative Aide to State Representative Les Ihara, Jr. during the 1993 Legislative Session. He then occupied the same position in the State Senate during the 1995 and 1996 sessions.[2] After graduating from the William S. Richardson School of Law at UH Manoa in 1996, Kenoi passed the bar exam on his first attempt and then served as a clerk for Judge Richard K. Perkins of the Eighth Division of the First Circuit.[2] Kenoi then worked as a Deputy Public Defender, where he served in the Appellate, Family Court, Juvenile Criminal and Adult Family Court divisions, before finishing his career at the Public Defender’s Office at the Circuit Court."
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Men don't go to Korean or Hostess bars for booze or food. We all know what they're after. It's not chit-chat either..

That's your reality leilaniguy, but not everyone's. I have a friend, a serious volcanologist, used to be on staff at HVO, then was a professor of geology at UH Hilo, who whenever he did stints on Oahu that had him there, disconnected from his family here, overnight would hang out at a hostess bar and do his work, use there internet connection etc., and got to know a lot of the ladies as friends. He admittedly is a bit eccentric but I know for a fact he had no interest in sampling the wares.

Sorry it took so long to reply to this. Many, Many years ago I had a roommate who was a bartender in Hilo, at D'Angora's. I used to pick him up at about 1-2 AM after last call. The working girls were still there. I knew a couple of them. I don't know exactly what they were doing under the tables, but I saw them there a few times, bobbing up and down. No, I didn't partake, (I'm as Gay as the day is long), but I had a pretty sure idea what was going on. The usual stuff that goes on in Hostess bars.
I also doubt dakine's "serious volcanologist" used a pcard to pay his hostess bar bill. I'm still curious how dakine knows "for a fact" about this professor's activities at a hostess bar. That's such a strange claim to make.