Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Very sad. So many takers in a race, trying to earn a dollar exploiting such a wonder as Mauna kea. The natural lake near the top of the mountain has nearly been drained while the extra large eyesores have caused headaches and sickness to those who first believed in maunakea. OHA could make a big difference in not only helping solve these current issues or escalating situations? Helping the Hawaiian people while protecting history and Maunakea forever should be a priority for OHA. JMO or two cents here, OHA needs to stop selling out its own ansesters or people from yesterday for the greed of money for few today, while losing value for all tomorrow.
Sorry Tomk, plenty of healing needs to be done for many including Maunakea. For those scientists and visitors who must drive up to work should be packing and cleaning rather than stocking and building. Maybe some things deserve to be left alone or restored the way they were intended before man? I don't think MaunaKea or our lava should be sold or tampered with by the many lawyers with names today. Enough is enough, Unless it involves the mighty dollar.

I have a buddy who hiked to the lake last weekend and said it has refilled to very close to the usual level, so no, the lake has not "been drained".
Pahoated,

"[...] Saying all this was done with aloha only accentuates the tourist-wrapped view of aloha that keeps being overused here."

There you go making stuff up again. It really is pathological with you. There's no mention of the word "aloha" anywhere in my post, and how you extrapolate what I wrote to Gandhi and the victorian period is utterly perplexing. But, as ever, you make stuff up, so will settle with that as an explanation for your bizarre post.
1) New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/02/us/ap-us-giant-telescope.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

2) OHA Trustee Peter Apo calls for moratorium: (*Snipped-More at link)

"The arrests that are being made is really, in my judgment, a kind of an 'in your face' provocation to Native Hawaiians, that a construction schedule is more important than people," said Office of Hawaiian Affairs Trustee Peter Apo.

Apo is calling for construction on the telescope to be halted for 30 days. If construction continues, protest organizers predict even more people will join the rally next week, when Hilo fills up with Native Hawaiians for the Merrie Monarch Festival.

3) Several updated videos, including yesterday (4/3):

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/

Mr. Tom, this is indeed difficult to watch and experience. Mahalo for your compassion as this project moves forward.

I spoke with a cousin of mine (DLNR officer) who had to arrest our nephew. After the first day of arrests, he was so emotionally drained, he doesn't know if he can continue arresting people. He will struggle with that decision until he has to work his next shift.

I pray for Akua, na Aumakua, na Kupuna, to guide him, and all the others (on both sides) to maintain dignity, respect, and honor each other as human beings first.

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting kanaka maoli against kanaka maoli. Again.

There has got a be middle ground somewhere. We must find it.

JMO.
Peter Apo might do better to reform OHA/DHHL and do some actual good for Hawaiians who die of old age while waiting for a land allotment. Or if he can't do that, he might try to better manage a contracting process that pays two to three times the going rate to a select group of well connected contractors rather thatn get the best price for the sake if the beneficiaries. Once he does that, I will listen to him complain about a permitting process that went through multiple reviews, appeals, and a court process. He is not helping.

Opihikao, despite my harsh comment about Apo and his ilk, I do understand the pain that this is causing. By saying that some of that pain is self-inflicted, I am not trying to be disrespectful. Hawaiians would not be in nearly the position of disadvantage that many of them face if OHA and DHHL would get their act together.

Meanwhile, the TMT and its contractors have a well-established legal right to build.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

Peter Apo might do better to reform OHA/DHHL and do some actual good for Hawaiians who die of old age while waiting for a land allotment. Or if he can't do that, he might try to better manage a contracting process that pays two to three times the going rate to a select group of well connected contractors rather thatn get the best price for the sake if the beneficiaries. Once he does that, I will listen to him complain about a permitting process that went through multiple reviews, appeals, and a court process. He is not helping.

Opihikao, despite my harsh comment about Apo and his ilk, I do understand the pain that this is causing. By saying that some of that pain is self-inflicted, I am not trying to be disrespectful. Hawaiians would not be in nearly the position of disadvantage that many of them face if OHA and DHHL would get their act together.

Meanwhile, the TMT and its contractors have a well-established legal right to build.

(BBM) Mahalo, Chunkster. Peter Apo is grandstanding, IMO. DHHL and OHA have done little for our people, considering the assets they manage. This project in particular, has been supported by OHA. (*Letter of Support at link below)

http://maoliworld.ning.com/profiles/blog...of-support

OHA backed down from the opportunity to file a contested case hearing re: Lease/Sublease.

http://hawaiiindependent.net/story/oha-b...t-sublease

OHA, overall, needs to go into receivership, be dissolved, or reorganized. OHA has lost focus. It has become politics at it's best at OHA. Apologies for partial OT.

JMO.

ETA: typo
"This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting kanaka maoli against kanaka maoli. Again."

little experiment here inserting switched subject into statement:

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting asians against asians. Again.

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting african americans against african americans. Again.

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting caucasians against caucasians. Again.

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting Persians against Persians. Again.

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting latino against latino. Again.

my question is, does this make it more sad than if the two are of different "race"?

sorry opihikao, can't help but notice.

------------------------------------------------------------------
...or, in Hawai'i we might more commonly have the occasion to say:

This is the perfect example of what makes my heart heavy. Pitting Portuguese-Hawaiian-Filipino-Japanese-Chinese-German-Samoan-Scotch against Portuguese-Hawaiian-Filipino-Japanese-Chinese-German-Samoan-Scotch. Again.

Smile
PM2, being kanaka maoli, it is voicing my own life experience, within my ohana. When all people are pitted against each other, in the name of progress, is what makes my heart heavy.

Is that better? I am not going into this race issue again. I am proud kanaka maoli, which includes all of my ancestors who were not only Hawaiian, but English, Chinese, Tahitian, and Irish.

Again, apologies for the off topic.

Back to topic, apparently there are talks to cease the construction until after Merrie Monarch. Perhaps this is part of finding that middle ground. When confirmed, I will post a link.

JMO.
not my intention to ruffle prideful feathers, opihikao, quite the contrary. just some food for thought. Smile
It bothers me greatly as well opihikao, especially when one side must do what they are told to do, and the other is doing what their heart and soul is telling them to do.

From Chief Lookinghorse

http://ravenredbone.com/2015/04/03/chief...kinghorse/

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island