Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OTA TV Channels
I had a similar problem and I had to upgrade my antenna. Our stations are a mix of VHF and UHF and my UHF antenna wasn't pulling in the VHF stations.

I had a signal booster at one time but it didn't make a difference. If anybody has a suggestion for one that works I would appreciate reading about it.

You have a directional UHF antenna good for pulling in distant UHF stations, you may want to try an omnidirectional UHF/VHF antenna. None of our transmitters are distant and many of them are VHF. Your antenna is actually getting some of the VHF stations (I think the 11's are VHF) but it's probably because they are so close.

You probably already know this, but if you adjust your antenna position you have to rescan on the TV/tuner.
(06-11-2021, 02:21 AM)terracore Wrote: I had a similar problem and I had to upgrade my antenna.  Our stations are a mix of VHF and UHF and my UHF antenna wasn't pulling in the VHF stations. 

I had a signal booster at one time but it didn't make a difference.  If anybody has a suggestion for one that works I would appreciate reading about it.

You have a directional UHF antenna good for pulling in distant UHF stations, you may want to try an omnidirectional UHF/VHF antenna.  None of our transmitters are distant and many of them are VHF.  Your antenna is actually getting some of the VHF stations (I think the 11's are VHF) but it's probably because they are so close.

You probably already know this, but if you adjust your antenna position you have to rescan on the TV/tuner.
Mahalo for the feedback on the UHF/VHF.  Currently antenna is on lower pitch of roof.  Might make sense to attach new antenna at highest point with a motor.  Frustrating that all HI islands were not part of a universal plan that would provide OTA digital TV reception availability. Considering that according to Wikipedia Hawai'i was first state to convert to digital transmission!
In preparation for leaving cable soon, I've been trying out antennas and locations for receiving my OTA network locals. The only one I've not been able to get at this point is NBC (Ch 13x). Antenna websites put my location out of its reception area. Is there anyone here who lives in the mid-lower half of HPP who has been able to receive that station with an antenna?
Congratulations on leaving cable. It's a waste of money in my opinion. I live in lower HPP and I use an amplified indoor antenna to get everything except NBC. I've learned to live without it. That plus a $35.00 Roku stick plugged into the back of the TV and I have more channels than I would ever need.
not been able to get at this point is NBC (Ch 13x).

I found one spot in my home that could pick up NBC with an indoor antenna.  I placed marks on the floor and ran a long coax cable to that room for Sunday Night Football.  It worked 80% of the time, but I finally decided it wasn’t worth the extra effort.  Even if Aaron Rodgers was playing.

If you decide to give it a try, the first step is to determine the angle from your antenna location to Bayfront Hilo, the Hilo Hawaiian has NBC’s transmitter on their roof.
Open up Google maps and draw a line from your home in HPP to Bayfront.  Use your road as a gauge for comparison.
NBC’s signal is weak, so the closer you get to the correct angle the better chance you’ll have to pick up their channel.
I've had pretty good luck with a GE outdoor antenna from Walmart in Hawaiian Acres.

Also, if you are cutting the cord and think you might miss some basic cable favorites, check out the Philo channel on Roku.
I bought an outdoor channel Master antenna and power booster then connected to a Tablo Streamer. The Tablo has a DVR in it and it connects through my WIFI to my 3 Roku Tvs(No Cables). Works great here in Lower Beaches / Shores. I get all networks and subnets (22 channels) although I have had spotty signals from Fox channels. Think I need to tweak the antenna angle slightly. I cut DirecTV 3 years ago and haven't missed a thing.
Deckman
(08-14-2021, 08:24 PM)Deckman Wrote: I bought an outdoor channel Master antenna and power booster then connected to a Tablo Streamer. The Tablo has a DVR in it and it connects through my WIFI to my 3 Roku Tvs(No Cables). Works great here in Lower Beaches / Shores. I get all networks and subnets (22 channels) although I have had spotty signals from Fox channels. Think I need to tweak the antenna angle slightly. I cut DirecTV 3 years ago and haven't missed a thing.

Thanks for the input. A simple indoor antenna is getting me everything but NBC, so I'm trying to determine how much more would be needed to get that, too.

How high above the roof? K side or M side of HPP?
I'm not getting any channels above 13. Are they down or is it time for me to adjust antenna?
(05-01-2022, 06:30 AM)terracore Wrote: I'm not getting any channels above 13.  Are they down or is it time for me to adjust antenna?
Just checked and still have all the channels. Try a rescan before moving the antenna.
Deckman