Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chess in Puna
chess.com is a fine online place to play either live games or games where you have several days per move. You log in, go through your games and make your moves, and log out. I also suggest net-chess.com, and gameknot.com. There is also itsyourturn.com, where you can play a huge list of different games.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I love to play chess. I have been playing "chess with friends" on my iPhone. Happy to hook up with Puna peeps if they want to play.
http://www.freechess.org/

Sign up and download an interface, I use Babbas but others are good too....[Big Grin]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Mahalo
Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Taropatch...sent you an e-mail about chess in Hilo.
We had our second Big Island Chess Club tournament yesterday at the Pahoa Neighborhood Facility. That's near the Pahoa Pool and at the building just below the skate board park. The first one was at the Keaau Farmers Market when we were meeting there. We had 12 entrants. Played five rounds of game in 30 minutes chess. That means each player gets 30 minutes to play the game, so a game can go 60 minutes. We are using chess time clocks so you not only can lose by check mate, or resigning, but can lose on time (which I did twice). I was the tournament director with some much appreciated help from Burt Izumikawa from Hilo. Burt took first place with a perfect 5.0 (one point for a win, 0 for a loss, and 1/2 point for a draw). I muddled through as director/player somehow and we finished up the five round match in a pretty timely manner. I've played in a number of tournaments, but never have been tournament director before.

Jim Lee is the manager of the club, and he has a small store there on the main street in Pahoa called "Da Fun Place" where he sells chess sets and equipment and also has a ping pong table, and sells video movies etc.

We meet every Saturday starting at 9:00am until at least 1:00pm and sometimes a bit later. There is an annual membership fee, and the tournaments will be once a month with a $15 entry fee. First time at the regular Saturday chess club meeting is free for anyone to come and try it out meet us and play some games. We are also happy to teach beginners of any age to play, and cover more advanced aspects of the game too. We have had youngsters from about eight years old, to a gentleman of 92 that is now getting back into the game after not playing for many years.

Jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP