Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bringing Firearms When Moving to B.I.
ya dude leave your guns on the mainland...they get stolen here..then what?
I wonder how long it will take for the local bad boys to figure out that malihinis from Alaska are especially prone to bring guns. Probably already on it.

Bringing semi-automatics and handguns to Hawaii. [Sad]
It's not like you're hunting bear.
Why move here and bring the gun mindset?

But if you must, ask the people who regulate firearms your specific questions ...
Don't chance acting on inaccurate info.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

As an experienced shooter and combat veteran, I can give you a fact;

I fear idiot neighbors with firearms more than I fear an armed home invasion.

I'm fine with Hawaii's restrictive firearm laws.

I agree that I'm more afraid of idiots with guns than I am with a home invasion. But unfortunately, strict gun control laws only weight the gun ownership towards the criminals. Mexico has much stricter gun control laws than the US, and look what's happened there: when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. I don't have any figures to back this up, but in Alaska and Texas, virtually anybody can have a gun at any time and almost any place. Is the crime higher in either place than it is in Washington DC where handguns are outlawed? I don't think so. I think its the other way around.

For a few years I lived "in the hood" in NE Portland in the 90's. There were homicides in my neighborhood every week. We could hear gunshots from our property EVERY night. Did I rush out and buy a gun? No- we got a rottweiler. Instantly our house was no longer cased every night, people stopped trying to look through the mail slot in the front door (if the mail was delivered outside it was 100% guaranteed stolen), and when some dirtbag came too close to the house we were instantly notified by the barking dog. None of those things would have happened just by buying a gun. I believe in gun rights. But I don't think most people should have guns. Like everybody else I think that law abiding citizens should have them and criminals should not. Gun control laws, unfortunately, produce the opposite effect.
I think it noteworthy that there is a very low rate of gun crime in Hawaii. Perhaps we just have fewer criminals per capita.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
FWIW - firearms deaths

Hawaii: Deaths by firearms: 2.8/per 100,000 residents
State Rank (including Washington DC): # 51

US State Average Weighted Deaths by firearms: 11.5/per 100,000 residents

FROM: http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur...er-100-000
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I think it noteworthy that there is a very low rate of gun crime in Hawaii. Perhaps we just have fewer criminals per capita.

I think you found your answer. Obviously a large percentage of gun owners in Hawaii are responsible, so we need not worry about the guns. We need to worry about the criminals.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
It should be noted that the reason we have the 2nd amendment is not for self defense.(the founders never would have dreamed of a world where you could not defend yourself) The reason for the 2nd amendment is to keep the government from going bat**** insane. Gun control works great for the criminals, be it a petty thief or a government.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people were rounded up and exterminated."

Both the UK and Australia have extremely restrictive gun control and a growing crime problem as a result of it. In the states with relaxed gun control crime is down, way down. Even if Hawaii has low gun crime, that just shows how responsible the gun owners are. Increasing gun control will not decrease crime and decreasing gun control will not increase crime. An armed populace will prevent scary government and many many other crimes.
“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul

FWIW: Gun Ownership by State

In 2001 the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) in North Carolina surveyed 201,881 respondents nationwide, asking them, "Are any firearms now kept in or around your home? Include those kept in a garage, outdoor storage area, car, truck, or other motor vehicle." Here are the results.

NOTE: Hawaii had the lowest percentage of gun ownership of all 50 states.

Hawaii*
Total Number of Respondents 4,450
Number Owning Guns 477 Percentage 8.7
Number Not Owning Guns 3,973 Percentage 91.3

FROM: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/hea...rship.html
Here's the Hawaii Rifle Association site and it has the Hawaii gun laws on it.

1.) You could ship it here on a cruise ship...lol...You can only ship to yourself or to a licensed dealer

2.) AND 3.) large semi-auto pistols of cosmetic paramilitary appearance, usually accepting detachable magazines of over 10 rounds capacity, are banned.....A non-inclusive list is available from the State Attorney General and county police chiefs

What is the non-emergency police number? 96 somein'

I think the sks is for survivalists in case Korea decides to invade. I wouldn't be surprised if it's banned. Call and ask and let us know.

4.) That's right. But, you need that "safety class" to hunt legally. It's cheap and easy...and when I say easy, I mean like melted cheese sliding off a hot engine.

I own a semi-automatic .22 beretta for personal protection. I can tell you from experience; it prevents crime! No way I'm getting raped.

It's also protected me and my dog maile from the wayward huntin' (or trailer-trash owner) pitbulls since I've lived here.

And Lingle's (God bless her!) psudo-Castle Law um..extension..really boils down to a few points; dude can't sue me for putting a round in his butt if he's convicted of a violent felony and if Hawaii's version of Katrina hit the local thug cops can't take my defense away.

We're animals, there will ALWAYS be criminals that we need to defend ourselves against. If you don't have a gun, in certain circumstances, you don't have a chance against...I don't know.....SODOMY?
Look, apparently you can ship an entire deer or two over here without anyone noticing. Not legal advice, but I am pretty sure you can ship a gun over, although I think that shipping over more than one gun is a little Osama-Bin-Laden-and-his-many-wives-ish. One should be enough. Sell the rest and find a more peaceable and quiet pursuit. There is only one reason to bring a gun to Hawaii: to shoot loose dogs that threaten you or someone you love. In that case, exhaust all other remedies first and then aim for the forehead. Fire another shot if necessary for humanitarian purposes. Dump the gun in the ocean. Wash hands thoroughly before entering house.