Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrical Contractor
The problem with paying in full beforehand is that you immediately drop to the bottom of their priority list. If they have to choose between site A, where they will be paid at the end of the day, and site B, where they won't, then it's a simple choice until there are no more site A's.
Carey,

You CAN fire him.
I highly recommend Renee dela Cruz of DC Electrical. She grew up helping with the family business, Puna Electric, has taught in the field at the Community College before getting her own license.

She was meticulous in her work, honest, timely, professional, reasonable in her charges, a great communicator, clear ... and she treated my small job with all due respect to my need for completion.

She was about the best contractor experience I have ever had.

I agree that once a contractor has 90% of the job in pocket, they are always going to want to work the job that offers a big check. Learned that the hard way, after some people in California left my kitchen and bedroom torn up for months and were always coming back "soon."

Never ever pay them in full before they are done.
Sure, we could fire, however, the PERMIT is pulled under the electrical contractor...and that was 3mos to get!

SOOOO, we could fire the one that has assistants that come on a whim, & go through this all over....and at what additional cost to start all over with a new contractor????

Therefore the warning, do the due diligence UPFRONT, if the contractor is not willing to sign a contract with a completion clause & itemize the billing, I would advise to CAREFULLY think it over, all of the recommendations in the world are meaningless if the contractor does not show up to finish YOUR job....
other side of the coin: from Craigs List:

"I need to build a garage to my house as soon as possible to put two cars inside. I am looking for help in building this garage. I would like to know the approximate cost and time period in order for the garage to be done. Please email me if you are interested in this job. MAHALO!
Compensation: will pay money after garage work is completely finished. thanks."

both of these scenarios suck, IMHO

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk
Every contract should include a payment schedule that is tied to the amount of work completed by stage.
Example:
10% when contract is signed
10% when permit is issued
20% when all materials are on site
20% when rough-in is signed off
Balance when finish is signed off.
Extras paid when changes are requested.

Clause stating anticipated schedule and that "time is of the essence".

Dan
Carey,

I think that there is a way to substitute contractors on a permit. You could ask at the bldg. dept.
It is simple to change contractors after a permit is issued. You fill out a form and have the new contractor sign it. There is a fee of $10 or $25, I can't remember which. But that's it.
Haysmer,

Roy Mc Cormick's sister is Barbara Johnson, Argus' wife of Argus Bldg supply.

I dont get his payment schedule but I have never heard complaints about him.
Roy McCormick has a contractors license but does not have a journeyman electrician license. A contractor license allows you to contract electrical work but not perform electrical work. The contractor must hire licensed electricians to actually do the work. I used Royal Hawaiian and he was professional at the beginning. Once I paid the 50% down the attention and service went the same direction. When he finally sent someone out to do the work it was three guys, none of who were licensed electricians. They said they didn't actually work for Royal Hawaiian but were subcontractors. They had no insurance of any kind and less of an idea as to they were to do. I had to point out to the inspector what they hadn't done and were trying to hide. They actually complained because I expected the work to be done per code as the contract stated. If you use Royal Hawaiian don't put money down and ask to see the licenses of the electricians. Check the names you are given on the state's website to verify they really have licenses. Don't make final payment until the permit is cleared.