Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is there any way to fix vog damaged windshield ?
I don't know about using cerium on plastic headlight covers. I can try some out tomorrow on my neighbor's "should work as a generator dodge neon" tomorrow.

We did use the automotive "scratch remover" for tyler's car and it worked great on taking the yellow uv damage and the foggyness from the rain. Scrub hard with green kitchen scrubber. His are plastic; shiny and bright now! Definitely test on a corner first. And when you finally get it all cleaned up, you should apply car wax to them because you'll probably remove whatever is left of the protective coating; probably gone if the lights are really dim at night anyway.
Here on the mainland they make a product especially for plastic headlight covers. I have glass but I can ask my friend he has it.
My son and I recently did the plastic lenses on his hundai tucson. They were pretty bad. We started with sandpaper using a foam sanding block, by hand. We started with 600 grit and worked our way to 1200. This was wet sanding, use plenty of water. Make sure you get all of the oxidized layer off with the 600 grit. After the sandpaper we went to polishing compound (maquires scratch and swirl remover, I think) on a terri cloth buffing wheel. Never hold it in one place or you will get it too hot and gall the plastic or worse. We then finished it with dry wool on the buffing wheel. Go very light with that and keep it moving around constantly but that's what gives it that final perfect polish. They came out looking like new. Of course all of the protective coat is gone.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
All in one kit.

I used Walmart but most auto parts stores carry it too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Headlight-R...t/13023890
Why buy the kit when I already have all the stuff in my garage?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I bought the kit even though I have the stuff in my garage too.My garage is in Ohio and the cars that needed repair were in Hawaii.
terracore - you havn't been there very long yet, is the acid rain or vog that bad that you already have damage!? Please tell me you just bought a used island car...
islandgirl
quote:
Originally posted by coppercoin40

terracore - you havn't been there very long yet, is the acid rain or vog that bad that you already have damage!? Please tell me you just bought a used island car...

Yeah it's a used island car that spent a lot of it's life on the Kona side.
Didn't know about the sandpaper for the plastic headlights. Thanks for sharing.
Don't know if available in Hawaii but I have Stare Farm full glass coverage w/ no deductible at a small upcharge per premium. I have replaced several cracked windshield at no cost. With a couple of calls I'm good to go to the windshield store. Works for car break-ins as well. I often recommend that add on to tourists worried about breakins.