Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Fridge is Pau: Icemaker on Catchment?
A helpful hint...our refrigerator has quit working several times in the last few years. It was a few days before Sears could get out here, and then more time until the part could be mailed and the Sears guy could get back to install the part. Both times we went to Aaron Rent-a-Center in Hilo and rented the cheapest fridge they had. Have to ask them for the basic model....they will try to upsell you. They pick up and deliver for FREE. The cost was very low...like $35/week!! They put the rental on our lanai and plugged it in there. At least we did not lose all of the food in our fridge and had a freezer for ice. Sure beats trying to live out of a cooler for a couple of weeks.

And, because our fridge was still under manufacturer's warranty, we were reimbursed for the cost of the rental. The Sears extended warranty would also cover the cost of the rental. But, covered or not, the rental is worth every penny.
After it thaws out and you plug it back in,listen for the two fans.One is outside near the bottom .Make sure the coils at the bottom are clean.Sometimes you can see that fan with the bottom front removed or sometimes from behind.
The fan that is probably causing the problem is usually at the rear of the freezer section inside.If you can here both fans,run it for a while and see what the temps are.
Oh my gosh, Loretta. That is a GREAT idea. I don't think I will have a quick solution to this problem.

Obie. Fridge and freezer are both off now. Warm day, so we will see what happens.
Free Refrigerator - Pepeekeo

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/zip/3340956078.html
Second Obies idea Kelena ... This worked on my old one ... Also, I shook it real hard too.

aloha,
pog
quote:
[i]
Obie. Fridge and freezer are both off now. Warm day, so we will see what happens.

You really should unplug it for 24 hours.Don't just turn it off,pull the plug out of the wall.
It is amazing how many products with electronic "brains" will respond to being unplugged. Printers, DVD players, stereos, and so on all can become magically fixed just by being unplugged.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
have you searched online for how to fix your fridge?
I've never done a fridge, but replaced the pump in my washing machine by following online advice. And it even worked after I was done!
And my icemaker/water in door have been on catchment for all their 7 years. I suspect the filter was never changed for the first 3 years. The water in door leaks now, but the icemaker is fine.
Hanahano, Pele. Mahalo nui, pog, and Obie, Bill and Bullwinkle, DoryGray and all the rest. You are an amazing group of problem solvers. It was the defroster on the freezer side and a sensor there. It froze over. Cost to repair: $156. Done! No fancy French drawer thingy for the time being, and I met a really nice guy, Colin from Puna Appliance. He plays guitar, collects them and sells them and likes bluegrass and dogs. He is a typically interesting Puna person.

And Pele kindly restored the heat to my hot tub and the cool to my refrigerator. Might have been the repair guy and me.

Mahalo everyone.
At the Puna Sustainability Expo on Saturday, one of the exhibitors was Stone Cold Solar Refrigerators. Jeff Stone has exhibited with us in the past. He has access to freezers, refrig/freezer combos and refrig. with no freezer - all solar. He can also do retrofits. You might find it worth your while to drop him a line about your problem and see what he can suggest. jstone004@hawaii.rr.com.