Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Illegally Disposes of Depleted Uranium (D
Sorry, I do not mean to be on a high horse here...but depleted uranium is radioactive. It may be less radioactive but you cannot remove the 'radioactiveness' from uranium.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures.../index.asp
Bananas are more radioactive than depleted uranium. Does that fit your definition of "radioactive"?
No, mine neither. Depleted uranium is not radioactive. If it was, do you think they would use it in commercial airliners?
Hi all, the US department of defense claims DU is radioactive

See: To be used as nuclear fuel or weapons grade uranium, natural uranium is enriched through the gaseous diffusion process to increase the 235U content to 3 to 90 percent; reducing the 238U content to 10 to 97 percent. "Depleted uranium," the byproduct of the enrichment process, has about 0.002 percent 234U, 0.2 percent 235U and 99.8 percent 238U, and about 60 percent of natural uranium's radioactivity. In the gaseous diffusion process, uranium hexafluoride (UF6), a gaseous compound of uranium and fluorine, is separated into two fractions -- one enriched in 235U and one depleted in 235U. The depleted fraction is then chemically transformed into a uranium metal stock. This is the first stage at which the depleted material is in the state necessary for further processing by ammunition manufacturers.

I read this here: http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/du_ii/du_ii_tabc.htm

BUT, hey who trusts the Drpartment of Defense anyways?

Cheers

rainyjim
Everything is radioactive to some extent, but how much - that's the important thing.
I'll say it again: depleted uranium is less radioactive than bananas.
So unless you wear a lead apron when making smoothies, please don't claim that DU is radioactive.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Everything is radioactive to some extent, but how much

How much ? According to the department of defense that's be 60% of uranium a usual radioactivity - seems like a lot to me and I really doubt bananas could poison the way DU ammo poisoned troops in both the Gulf and Kosovo "wars"

Cheers

rainyjim
Do you know what natural uranium's usual radioactivity is? If not, then how do you know that 60% of it is "a lot"?

From your link:
http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/faq/faq_du.jsp
"Depleted uranium is a heavy metal that is also slightly radioactive."
"A common misconception is that radiation is depleted uranium's primary hazard."

I am not saying that depleted uranium is safe or that it's a good thing.
I am pointing out that it is not radioactive in any meaningful sense of the word.
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

How much ? According to the department of defense that's be 60% of uranium a usual radioactivity - seems like a lot to me and I really doubt bananas could poison the way DU ammo poisoned troops in both the Gulf and Kosovo "wars"
The key word is "poisoned". Uranium is incredibly toxic, as a substance, much like mercury and lead. That has nothing to do with its slight radioactivity. Everyone assumes that because it's used in nuclear bombs that produce radiation, uranium must be highly radioactive itself. It isn't.
Group Prods Dept. of Health to Act on Military Radiation at Pohakuloa

A group of 2 dozen Big island residents, many wearing Hazmat type suits, dramatically urged the State Health Department (DOH) to stop being bystanders and become pro-active advocates of public health over the issue of Military Depleted Uranium (DU) radiation contamination at the Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA). In a protest organized by Malu 'Aina at the Hilo DOH Environmental Health Office, citizens prodded the DOH to follow the Hawaii County Council's action call in Resolution 639-08 to stop all live-fire and other activities that create dust until there is a clean up of the uranium contamination at PTA. There were several signs with the well known radiation symbol. Other signs read “Test For Radiation; Why Uranium in Urine?; No More Radiation; Peace thru Poison?, Time to Aloha 'Aina; Time to Mother Earth; DU equals Dirty Bomb, Sacred Mountains under Siege.” There was even the appearance of a well known Hilo resident, playing the role of Governor Neil Abercrombie.

Jim Albertini, of Malu 'Aina said “DOH action is needed to investigate what's causing uranium showing up in Big island resident's urine. Is it uranium weapons that have been fired at PTA or something else? Three MDs and a Naturopathic doctor have patients who have tested high for uranium in urine, including levels exceeding three times the upper expected limit.” Albertini said, “it's likely that far more uranium weapons have been used at PTA than the 700 hundred or two thousand Davy Crockett DU spotting rounds from the 1960s. Comprehensive independent testing and monitoring is needed to determine the full extent of radiation contamination at PTA and other sites throughout Hawaii. The DOH should be offering free uranium urine tests for Big Island residents, especially people who work at PTA, or travel the Saddle Rd..”

On Wednesday, Dec. 12th, there is a meeting between the Army and the U.S. Nuclear regulatory Commission (NRC) in Maryland (why not Hawaii) to discuss a possible license for the Army to possess DU in Hawaii. The meeting is from 10AM till 1PM Hawaii time. Citizens can call in toll-free at (877) 521-2306, pass code 8766359. Public questions will be taken at the end of the meeting. The DOH should be speaking out for public health and safety concerns at that meeting.

Is Uranium in Your Body?

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped" Dr. Ron Paul 2012
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
http://www.globalresearch.ca/explaining-...-land/6009

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped" Dr. Ron Paul 2012
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
On Wednesday, Dec. 12th, there is a meeting between the Army and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) in Maryland (why not Hawaii) to discuss a possible license for the Army to possess DU in Hawaii. The meeting is from 10AM till 1PM Hawaii time. Citizens can call in toll-free at (877) 521-2306, pass code 8766359. Public questions will be taken at the end of the meeting. The DOH should be speaking out for public health and safety concerns at that meeting.

Jim Albertini, of Malu ‘Aina said “DOH action is needed to investigate what’s causing uranium showing up in Big island resident’s urine. Is it uranium weapons that have been fired at PTA or something else? Three MDs and a Naturopathic doctor have patients who have tested high for uranium in urine, including levels exceeding three times the upper expected limit.” Albertini said, “it’s likely that far more uranium weapons have been used at PTA than the 700 hundred or two thousand Davy Crockett DU spotting rounds from the 1960s. Comprehensive independent testing and monitoring is needed to determine the full extent of radiation contamination at PTA and other sites throughout Hawaii. The DOH should be offering free uranium urine tests for Big Island residents, especially people who work at PTA, or travel the Saddle Rd..”
Hilo Protest at the Health Dept, on Monday made world news: Glad we have some people on the island that are paying attention and demanding action to right the WRONG!
http://enenews.com/report-doctors-hawaii...rine-video