Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Support Needed for Punalu`u Preservation
My concern about this whole thing is jobs,jobs,jobs. Currently
people living in Ka'u have to drive hours and end to jobs in Kona,
Kohala and Hilo. I'm not thrilled about having Punalu'u developed.
But I don't think its fair or feasible long term (due to gas prices)
for people to be working and living so far apart. So some middle
ground has to be found.

I agree with you Aaron, there is probably a middle ground solution. I don't see preservation of the Punalu`u shore as eliminating potential for jobs.

Let me think. Are there any successful commercial enterprises (maybe even resorts) anywhere here on the Big Island that are not right on the water's edge?

Gee, I can't think of any...... wait a minute! Kona if full of them! There are even some in Waimea! and Waikoloa! And Volcano!
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I went through Ka'u for the first time last trip on my way from Honaunau to Hilo. My expectations for the area were very low. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me the place was spectacular. Even the much derided HOVE seemed pretty nice to me. Their views are spectacular. That is followed by miles of greenery and awe inspiring vistas...and lots and lots of sunshine. Punalu'u is gorgeous and very special. Na'alehu was intensely Hawaiian and otherwordly. The whole area is beautiful, I think, BECAUSE it is unspoiled. By spoiled, I would refer you to Kailua. It is hard to ruin the beauty of such a place, but they have done their level best. Bubba Gump's indeed.

Do we want all of "America" to look the same? I don't. That's what will happened if this area is Kailua-sized. The island has no shortage of resorts -- some of them fabulous. If you need a job, go where the jobs are. Don't go where the jobs aren't and then expect them to follow. I think affordable housing near where the jobs are is the key. Let's focus on that and for heaven's sake leave SOME place on Earth that is untouched by rampant development.