Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome?
Not sure about Hawaii but in Japan most people park this way.
I like to back in and pull out forward to more clearly see pedestrians and traffic. Only try this if you can, in fact, back a car without much effort.[Big Grin]
When parking, the issues (traffic, pedestrians, rain, etc.) are known. When leaving who knows what you will be dealing with. Tsunami?
there is a parking lot here that you get ticketed if you park backed in!!! crazy huh! As stated above it is much safer to pull forward out of a parking spot than to back out of one. I have heard too many sad stories of children being backed over because their height placed them out of view of a larger vehicle.
islandgirl
backing in a habit shared by cops and first responders that I know.... see a car backed into a residential drive way "in the world" - dollars to donuts.....
Back in is best for me most every time. Safer.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I back in whenever possible.

Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
I back in when possible. When you a approach a parking spot you can see clearly that it is clear and empty. When you back out you can't always see what's coming. Way safer.
I'd consider myself healthy and in good shape to trek a good 5-10 min walk to the enterance. I start at the back and get a better spot with out all the huge SUV's and people with kids walking around .... No matter what ped's are doing they always have the right of way...Clueless or not you hit one it's 100% your fault. Walking is a good form of exercise the more for me the better and I don't have to fight all these people that want to circle 20 times to get a spot next to the door! Big Grin I also perfer to back in but usually where I park I just pull up. No need to back in or back out if you do it right! Big Grin Saves on gas too!
I have never learned the proper way to use my mirrors to back up. On top of that I have a smallish card with not the best vision out the back window. So everyone who is already in a parking space has a car that is much safer if I pull straight in and just back out slowly when it's time to leave. Not all of us are good at backing in. I've never hit anyone or any vehicle, and I'm up in years. I admire those who can whip their cars into a parking space backwards.