Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Road Fee $275.00
2.5 million will buy a crap load of speed bumps! Big Grin

Really tho... Is the gate to keep em in or out? Tongue
quote:
Originally posted by whalesong...
I think it is time to put up a gate like Vacation Land did, and keep the public out, if they don't have a code to get in [Big Grin]

Vacationland doesnt have a gate if you mean Kapoho Vacationland.

If you mean Vacationland in Waimea, that I dont know about but last time I was up there they didnt have a gate either.
I haven't heard about a gate at Ainaloa. There supposedly was one between Fern Acres and Hawaiian Acres. That always sounded like a bad deal for FA in case of an emergency; they have only one other road out.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken

Speaking of gates, let's not forget the debacle, wasted time and money and general sheer stupidity of the infamous Ainaola/Hawaiian Acres gate a few years back!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

I haven't heard about a gate at Ainaloa. There supposedly was one between Fern Acres and Hawaiian Acres. That always sounded like a bad deal for FA in case of an emergency; they have only one other road out.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken

Speaking of gates, let's not forget the debacle, wasted time and money and general sheer stupidity of the infamous Ainaola/Hawaiian Acres gate a few years back!!!

There was a gate at the top of Ainaloa Blvd between Ainaloa and HI acres... you could go around it through Augie's yard for a beer, a buck or a bud.... If you went through after dark, it was amazing to see a pile of the mentioned items on his picnic table and it never seemed to get stolen...

Gate at the top of Ainaloa was installed by consent decree, and there was someone assigned to open it for emergency vehicles.

Who among us would vote to fix the problem? I realize the fallacy involved (eg, County will just claim "our rules can't apply", like they do whenever it's convenient) but otherwise we're all paying for the expensive lawsuit when someone figures out how to attach liability; after all, how is it the Association's fault if County is required by law to bring these roads "up to spec", and doesn't?
The county wasn't required to produce these roads up to spec. It wasn't a county development per se. The county was required to require that the developers did the roads to spec. and to inspect and approve the roads. The county failed to enforce the existing codes and in doing so is in a position of huge liability.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I suggested gating off Kaloli pt. but I got a beatdown....[Big Grin]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
whalesong, do you go to the HPP board meetings and question their budget? Personally, I would want to know just where that money is going. Then build on that information.

I did chuckle at your idea of gates. My friends would be giving me keys or codes to get in. And think of the construction going on...big trucks need to get in. And yes, businesses.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

... just cause you upset at paying 75 cents a day to have a smooth cinder road that they spray water on so your new minivan stay all shinny and doesnt have to be washed every day Wink paranoid mainland transfer attitude IMO but not surprising ...
Maybe they just close the 4 main roads from hwy and then extend that Railroad Rd from your fav stores Walmart and Safeway into your crowded subdivision, then we other Puna residents can drive our hwy more freely w/o all those traffic signals and HPP bound traffic ???

It's cool that you know what Whalesong drives, where Whalesong is from, and where Whalesong shops. Validates my feelings that this is a close community.
Smile

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Gate at the top of Ainaloa was installed by consent decree, and there was someone assigned to open it for emergency vehicles.

Who among us would vote to fix the problem? I realize the fallacy involved (eg, County will just claim "our rules can't apply", like they do whenever it's convenient) but otherwise we're all paying for the expensive lawsuit when someone figures out how to attach liability; after all, how is it the Association's fault if County is required by law to bring these roads "up to spec", and doesn't?

To the contrary. The Ainaloa Gate was the result of a renegade Board of Directors (some who did not even have the legal authority to be on the Board itself) who capitalized on the absentee owner ballot vote proxy to erect the gate in the first place, under the guise of implied liability if an accident occurred.

Coupled with the inability of the County to understand its own liability as well as its own subsequent erected gate - at a cost of tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars - and never used - as well as erected in a spot that eliminated the neighbors "toll" road access.

In the end, it was the threat of the lawsuit that was about to be filed that would have called for one of two things - immediate removal of the gate - or immediate repayment of all Federal, State and County funds expended to pave the road.

Further, that almost filed lawsuit would have been against the Board as a Corporate Entity, as well as against each Director as an individual.

The gate came down the next day.

PS. I also remember on several occasions watching various emergency response vehicles waiting - in excess of 15 minutes for the "guy with the key" - and even at one time - cutting the lock off.