Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading to Puna- photo/video pro
Hi y'all. Looking at business opportunities. What if I have GoPro cameras, and can very quickly edit the videos down and make cool short videos. For surfers, mtb, crazy triathlon people, etc. also photographer for hire, events and such. Photograph surfing comps and other events, really affordable pics to download or print.
You should have been here to cover this .... http://www.olamaurace.com/

But can plan for Iron Man or Queen Liliuokalani race to name a couple.

My gut feeling would be to cover them and do the writing.

aloha,
pog

P.S. I hope you have a better resume than " cool short videos " pitch.
I would never tell you not to move here, but just make sure you bring lots of cash. View it as a "longterm vacation that might work out as permanent". In other words. Do minimal preplanning and bring almost nothing with you. IN short. Find a place to stay that's cheap and then arrive and see what happens. Of course, bring all of your equipment but remember that this will likely make you a target for theft, so keep this in mind at all times. If you have a car you like, then it's worth shipping it. Just my two cents.
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Puna is mostly DIY kind of people.Kona might be better for your business.

Well, he'd be capturing "gigs" all over the island, so he could live in Puna and do the jobs in Kona too. Regardless of what side he lived on, he'd be traveling to the other.

OP, check out http://avservs.com/ in Kona.
OP, do you have the cameras and experience to do something like filming a special for public broadcasting?
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

I would never tell you not to move here, but just make sure you bring lots of cash. View it as a "longterm vacation that might work out as permanent". In other words. Do minimal preplanning and bring almost nothing with you. IN short. Find a place to stay that's cheap and then arrive and see what happens. Of course, bring all of your equipment but remember that this will likely make you a target for theft, so keep this in mind at all times. If you have a car you like, then it's worth shipping it. Just my two cents.

LOL...isn't it quirky how fast we learn about the REAL cost of living in Hawaii? My hiking buddy moved back to the mainland, Montana (brrrr), because of expense. She was running out of money.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
All good stuff. Mahalo!
Aloha Paulee,

Quite a number of events here on the Big Island each year.

I think you may find what you seek here at the Edge of Paradise.

I have posted before about certain expenses being less here, but the job market is most definitely the worst I've ever experienced. I spend less on food and housing here than in Texas, but I eat brown rice and farmer's market produce everyday. IT seems like being self employed here is really unusually tough.