Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mailboxes in HPP
I believe the HPP board of directors made an agreement with the Keaau Post office long ago to install mailboxes along the 3 main arteries in the park so the post office wouldn't have to deliver to individual homes on unpaved roads. Of course back then there were few homes and an adaquate amount of boxes for everyone.

Now there are more homes than boxes (by far) and adding more to accomodate the people living here would cause congestion on the roads and accidents waiting to happen.

Also...The Keaau post office currently farms out mail delivery in HPP and other private subdivisions to private individuals. They won't even deliver express mail to individual homes (but UPS and Fed-EX will).

The post office does not have to deliver into private subdivisions with unimproved roads. And even if they are improved by paving (if 28th street is any indication of the type of paving that will happen)...The post office may continue to farm out delivery because the roads are sub-standard. I just dont see mail delivery by the USPS to HPP in the near or distant future. It's a real mess!

The positions on private roads and unpaved roads are USPS B.S. They deliver on really bad dirt roads all over Texas, New Mexico, and other places, and they are already coming into HPP on its private roads to the existing boxes. They just don't want to do it, and so far they have gotten away with it. I should add in the interest of fairness, however, that they have expressed a willingness to deliver to more grouped boxes in HPP, but the Association Board has not figured out just how to do it without creating liabilities.

Why don't they just build a post office in HPP? There are more people living in HPP then in Keaau town and the surrounding areas combined?

I have also heard from the road maintenance office that the post office doesn't want to pay for the additional boxes. They want us to supply everything and it must meet strict codes. We do not have a homeowners association and the funds cannot come from road maintance fees. The road maintance fees are for roads only.

So how much money are we talking for a bank of 100 boxes?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I thought the USPS motto meant they are willing to deliver mail "no matter what."

Through rain, sleet, or snow............ meant that they will get you the mail no matter the conditions.

Doesn't seem like it.

If you do get a mailbox out on the main drag, what exactly is the mailing address? Is it a PO Box xxx?

Stan

Page 1 of the May 2007 'The Conch' (if you are a HPP landowner & not getting your copy, contact the Office, as this is your link to the subdivision) covered this issue. In a nutshell
the local post office informed HPP that they would have to take over responsibility of any new boxes but has not been confirmed by the USPS. HPP only can collect monies for road maintenance & improvements, & does not include responsibility for mailboxes (esp. repair of the ones that get broken into, run over, vandalized, & deteriorate.) HPP would have to have a bylaw change in order to that over this responsibility & liability. HPP is willing to designate safe spaces, if the USPS if the USPS will maintain ownership of the mailboxes.

This sounds like nobody really wants the maintenance & liablity of boxes that are treated the way these boxes are....really cannot blame them, I just wonder what would happen to residential boxes that the residents would have to maintain & secure...That might be a whole 'nother can of worms....

Edited by - carey on 06/27/2007 22:29:43
Over a year ago, I sent an email to the USPS about the Pahoa PO, asking if there were any chances of an expanded Pahoa PO, a new Pahoa PO location, or perhaps at least some new box banks on county & state roadways. Their written answer,(I was amazed to get it,) was no, no, and no, but "to expect big changes in the USPS system in the next 2-3 years". I'm still waiting!

We need to get the people from "60 Minutes" out here and show them how crazy this situation is with the USPS so it can be broadcast on primetime. Then things will change.

The post office is supposed to deliver to homes on paved roads (Leilani Estates for instance). It wouldn't surprise me to see them try and weasle out of it. If they do, I see an opportunity for an entrepreuner to start an HPP mail delivery service much like a newspaper deliverer. Sign up, pay a little fee, pick up your mail at your home. Please send me a portion of any profit made (LOL).