Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squatter and Crime
No, problem M-sect. Misunderstood communiques are common on the www. Your words are appreciated.

We guard our world with locks and guns
And we guard our fine possessions
And once a year when Christmas comes
We give to our relations
And perhaps we give a little to the poor
If the generosity should seize us
But if any one of us should interfere
In the business of why there are poor
They get the same as the rebel Jesus
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Had a group a three arrested today on 5th in HPP on a property that's been abandoned. It's a junky old house with lots of junk cars. The owner moved to the mainland. And neighbors complained when lots of traffic was going into and out of the place But knowing how things work...they will probably be released tomorrow and right back in the house.

Is that the property just south of Makuu?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Yes. The one that has half the roof gone and filled from one end of property to the other with rusted old junk cars.
To answer the OP:

Yes, there are people who live in the jungle under tarps or in non-permitted buildings. Some may be squatting, but many (all the ones I know) own the property. My experience in my neighborhood is they are the same as anyone else, but with fewer financial resources. Several are retired people on small fixed incomes. I make a point of picking up hitch hikers in my neighborhood and everyone has been friendly and respectful.

There is some theft, but very little panhandling. My very limited experience with theft is that buildings that are not regularly occupied are mostly likely to be targeted by thieves. Regular occupancy, dogs, and lack of visibility from the road are all deterrents.

Every neighborhood of every subdivision is a little different. My subdivision has a very colorful reputation, especially if you ask someone from Hilo. My experience has been quite different (much more positive) from the reputation. YMMV and imho is dependent quite a bit on how you treat others.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Just this week alone I have talked to two good friends from years back. A couple things both my old friends had in common were they are both Hawaiian, with large families, and both were now in what they called foreclosed homes in HPP. They just moved in and started cutting grass and fixing a few things. They tell me that if they pay the taxes for 3 years they will then own these houses. What is very sad is they are working and do need places for their kids. Rent is to high for some, yet they see plenty of empty shelters just rotting away. Is there any truth to this foreclosed homes take over tax payments then own story?. Both of my friends have always had good intentions before so just concerned a bit.
Sounds very unlikely to me.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
gypsy, in HawaiÔi it is very difficult to gain title to land through adverse possession. If you search for that term you will find a lot of info, but the basic requirement your friends cannot meet is a minimum of 20 years.

Most foreclosed homes are taken by lenders and lenders always pay the property taxes. Other foreclosed properties would be ones the County has taken for non-payment, but the County sells those at auction.

I do not think any property would need tax payments unless they are abandoned by the owner and the County has not seized them yet.

Paying the taxes is not a way of buying the right to the property. It is part of the requirement that a person must occupy the property and do such things as the owner would do, such as maintenance and paying bills. So far so good.

However, in HawaiÔi there is a requirement of a "good faith" belief you have legal right to the title, which a squatter can never meet.

An example of how it could work here: muddy inheritance and kuleana claims cloud the title, but one of the possible heirs who believes he was left the land, occupies the property for twenty years and farms the land, and the others know it but do not evict him.

I read a case like that once, for a listing that was really sweet but had a clouded title. The patriarch had willed the land to BOTH his wife and someone else, three generations back, creating multiple good faith claims to the title.

I had to read up on adverse possession here after a lame neighbor laid claim to an area of my property next to her easement. ItÔs complicated, and IÔm no attorney (but took real estate law as part of my paralegal certification), but the 20 year requirement is very plain.
This was discussed in a previous thread "removing squatters." Here's a true story that I shared in that thread:

Squatters were discovered in the house of our friend who doesn't live here full time. So I contacted the County Prosecutor to ask for advice. He said to assemble the following information then file a police report:

Homeowner's name
Address of Hawaii house being occupied
Homeowner's mainland address
Homeowner's last stay in Hawaii
Date you noticed it was occupied with the squatters
Home furnishings (ex: sofa, bed, fridge, dining table, cd player, kitchen accessories, etc.)

*Note that the police might also want to know when the previous renters left
*Also might want to check to see if the squatters changed the electric or water bills to their names.

So we called the police and they came to our home where we filed a report. They went immediately to the property only to find it empty. So they spoke with the neighbors and asked them to call if the squatters returned. Well, the story has a happy ending. Two days later the neighbors were kind enough to call when the squatters returned. The police showed up and arrested the occupants (one of whom, turns out, was wanted for burglaries around Puna).

No lawyers were needed. Just some information and patience.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
The more press this issue gets the less comfortable the criminals will feel
Yes, because squatters who have no homes, always read the press.