Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funding for Pahoa Roundabout Released
People should just cut a rough road through the jungle and use that instead.

Forget about the government doing anything right like build a road.

I am surprised they even know what a circle is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaj99kDR4Rs
Whatever happened to the idea of using railroad rd?
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

Whatever happened to the idea of using railroad rd?

No idea Julie. Everytime I bring that up I only hear chuckles and snorts of derision...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
It was just an idea and not a great one at that. RR lost it's right-of-way when the railroad ceased. It is also too narrow. Thirdly, it passes through Shipman's prime agricultural lands and Shipman doesn't want the exposure to agricultural theft.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
IF the general concenus is that it's a "bad idea" then you can be sure that someone in the DOT is considering it. Where else could a road go? That one is already there.
Yeah, this detour isn't going to be an issue for those north of Pahoa, unless there are frequent trips to Kalapana for some reason. This is still going to be interesting to see how this detour through Pahoa main street is going to work. That and with the recent news that looks like Brison's is going through means the Kahakai intersection is going to be completed. Hope the news is wrong that people coming up out of Beaches will have to take a left at the intersection and take post office road back out on to Pahoa main street. Probably won't be amusing to get caught in that muck.

Beaches should just be made into a tourist highway and alternate route, excluding tsunami evacuation. But it easy to see how a road from Kapoho to Hilo would meet insurmountable howls all along the way.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
What one is already there? The only part surviving is a angled run through HPP. The section to HIlo is gone and the section to Pahoa is gone. My bet is a new route from Pahoa to Hilo passing through HPP around 10th or 11th. The Shipman Makai lands are not in agriculture.

Shipman wants a new road to Keaau where they plan a new shopping center. They're not too excited about a route to Hilo that doesn't include Keaau. But if a new route does go to Keaau they will then need to widen Hwy. 11 someday.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Shipman wants a new road to Keaau where they plan a new shopping center. They're not too excited about a route to Hilo that doesn't include Keaau. But if a new route does go to Keaau they will then need to widen Hwy. 11 someday.

Yes, the Most Important Thing is that Shipman gets whatever it wants.
Is it a round about or a bypass?

If it is a traffic circle, they work just dandy when there is no traffic. If there is even moderate traffic, they cause a great big snarl, and if traffic is steady from one direction, then nobody else can get onto the roundabout.

They tend to send a lot of traffic put onto surface roads as people try to get past them when they can't actually get onto them and through them, so they make their away around in the residential areas.

In Scotland, they finally put traffic lights into their traffic circles in populated areas, trying to get the snarl under control.

But hey, they are perfectly fine when there is nobody else on the road. Oh, except that the government that puts them in tends to put them in too small for big trucks to make the diameter of turn, so the trucks have to run up over the curb in order to get through the circle.

Lots of fun ahead for Pahoa, I think.
They are called "rotaries" in New England and they seem to work fairly well. I think we'll all adapt readily. You just floor the gas, take a chance, and pray you can get off at the exit you want. IF you miss your exit point, you just go around the thing again- or again and again- as the case may be.