Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carjacking This Morning - Suspect Being Sought
We're talking about Puna. Those who have lived here a long time know that this is a new phenomena. And unlike the mainland our local small time criminals can't drive across the border to buy weapons. So it appears to me that our local Elmer Fudds are unwittingly arming the local burglars.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It may be new, but it's here to stay. Either be prepared to defend yourselves or be prepared to be victims.
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile

Do you think that an increase of violent crimes in Puna could be related to an increase in population? Would you believe that people can sail across the ocean, bringing things like drugs, guns, snakes very easily? Do you think all the ICE is manufactured in Puna? I would love to see some statistics about guns being burgled, no doubt the numbers pale in comparison to the numbers capable of international drug rings.

You don't have to look very hard on this island to find ICE, and the same people will sell you a unregistered imported gun for $200, thats a fraction of the cost of a legally purchased gun, and I don't think the price gets that low from a supply of stolen guns off of Elmer Fudds. Wake up to reality man, cause yours is constructed around what you believe, not the facts.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

When their homes get burglarized the guns fall into the hands of dummies with little or no experience or sense.
The typical gun is more likely to be stolen than to be used in an attempt to stop a crime. In recent years, guns were used in self defense 67,600 times in America, while 232,400 guns were stolen in burglaries.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/04/...lf-defense
(To compare this statistic with recent Puna incidents, the ratio would be 1 can of Pork & Beans was used in self defense, for every 3.44 cans of Pork & Beans that are stolen.)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Please keep it puna related, statistics from mother Jones are slanted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_use

With 1.5 million+ guns already in the state, is the 20k gun transfers per year in the state of Hawaii really going to make a difference in gun burglaries? lets be realistic here.
No matter how people are getting the guns... Violent crime around here is more than a bit unnerving.
The question is... What the heck do we do about it? Will the police change their way of handling things to accommodate for the change in crime? I have doubts on that, but have not lost all hope. I just feel that things will have to get REALLY bad, before there were a change. Even then... Do they have the resources?

I have come to the realization that, like dragon said, "be prepared to defend yourself or become a victim". Though someone like me who doesn't have the strength to fight back (and hopes for a heck of a rush of adrenaline), it is very scary!
Here we go again. More guns = more shootings. It's not hard to understand.
We don't need more guns, we need less guns.
Guns are an invasive species. The very idea that I would need a gun to protect myself in a tropical storm, as was suggested here, is patently absurd. When a gun hobby turns into a gun fetish, associated with gun-proselytizing, it becomes a pathology.

I was disturbed to see that what was once a reupholstery store near Discount Fabrics in Hilo now sells Glocks. What that store owner should say on his banner is "I am a purveyor of pestilence".

Sewing mistrust of the Government's ability to "protect" us (as if Hawaii Island were under siege by zombies) is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If people believe you, they will lose confidence in their police department. The police are generally hard working and ethical and, to the island's credit, rarely have to deal with anything as serious as murder. You will forgive them if they aren't as fluent in homicide as officers in large mainland cities. The police here have to serve vast areas. If you want better response times, say yes to taxes if they will go to hiring more police and building more substations. Don't sew cynicism and promote anarchy and gun fetishism.

With arms fetishism comes a certain mentality that is antithetical to island living. When everyone views everyone else as a potential threat you may as well line Aloha up against the wall and shoot her right in the forehead. Or better yet -- shoot her in the heart. It's a bigger target.

For now, we have a drug problem. Let's not add a containerful of guns to the mix. What you will have then is paranoid drug addicts screaming "They are after me", hijacking cars and putting everyone in danger.
"Do you think that an increase of violent crimes in Puna could be related to an increase in population? "
No. Why should it? In case you haven't noticed, Puna is very sparsely populated.

We have seen on this forum an ever-increasing amount of people bringing their guns with them from the mainland.
Guns are being used more and more in crimes. It's not hard to see the connection. Why import guns
for crime when they're already here and some people even advertise that they own them, for easy pickup?
Thank you for taking the gun discussion to the other thread(s).[Smile](Not to anyone in particular, respectfully.)

FYI: Road block at Mauna Kea Access Road

http://damontucker.com/2013/07/30/carjac...cess-road/

(*More at link)

Hawaii Island police have set up a roadblock at the entrance to Mauna Kea Access Road off the Saddle Road and are limiting access to Mauna Kea Access Road. The road is closed to the public until further notice while police search for a suspect in a carjacking.

Doesn't the military have some technology or something to find this guy, especially if night falls? Officers from both sides of the island are hunting for this criminal.

Can our local resources deal with this kind of hunt? Is the military allowed to contribute manpower & helicopters to the search? (Sorry, too many questions since he drove away this morning after carjacking that poor lady's car.)