Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Property in HPP worth less around chicken farms?
A distance limit would make spaghetti lots completely worthless, not just mostly worthless.

I believe the "narrowest acreage award" goes to Fern Acres (100x871).
A flock of hens with a rooster, or even two is one thing, but we had someone move into the rental behind us who staked out about 100 roosters evenly distributed across every inch of the property, and it made our lives a living hell. Roosters in those conditions crow randomly 24/7, it never stops.

When we were house hunting we automatically ruled out anyplace with a large scale rooster set up, but were surprised at how many realtors had strategically taken their photos so you would see everything near the property, except the roosters. Did they think no one would notice the rooster when you came to look at the property? I do think a lot of those rooster operations here are renters, so you really can't ever be sure if your new neighbors will come with roosters.

Carol

edited to fix a typo
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Irony: noisy stinky "chicken farming" is a 100% legal "agricultural use", but a field of nice quiet marijuana plants is "felony intent to distribute".

quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

I thought that even in AG there was a distance restriction. The coop had to be so kany feet away from the nearest structure. For example 200ft from your neighbors house.

Can you cite a source? Would love to see it for my own purposes. I have a neighbor, I want to put a hen house, but would be mindful if a restriction.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
I believe the Ag restriction is: pigs, bees, and "feeding pens" must be 1000' from any major road or non-Ag zone. The restrictions are tighter for FA zoning: no pigs, everything must be 75' from any lot line. Anything beyond that is probably a CC&R on the particular lot.
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/lb-countycode/ @David M chapter 25
My neighbors are having a similar problem. They have listed their house on the market for a while now, but we share a driveway with other neighbors that have 4 large out of control hound dogs. Those dogs bark and howl and chase any cars that go up the driveway. They snap against the fence and are really vicious. We have repeatedly asked the dog owners to try and keep them quiet but they don't seem to care. Since this driveway gets a lot of traffic all the other neighbors are treated to barking all day. The neighbors that are trying to sell their place have told me that they have had several people come and look at the property but each time the prospective buyers end up asking "Do those dogs always do that?" and end up being scared off. To be honest I would feel the same. Those dogs weren't here when I first moved on my property and it sure was nice in those quiet old days. I feel bad for my neighbors that want to sell, since their place is otherwise great, acreage and views, and they really need the money.

Funny how just one inconsiderate bad neighbor can ruin the place for everyone else.
quote:
Originally posted by pander75

Funny how just one inconsiderate bad neighbor can ruin the place for everyone else.

Yep; and with the way sound carries in the subdivisions, it only takes one person like that every quarter-mile or so (and usually there are multiple ones anyway).

It's pretty ironic that, even aside from the coqui, Honolulu is vastly quieter than Hawaiian Acres. Less traffic noise, fewer constantly-barking dogs. Also no gunshots.
Why suffer in silence? My neighbor used to blast hooligan music day and night. Until we had a frank discussion about how escalation works. He listened to reason and now the entire area enjoys peace and quiet.
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

I thought that even in AG there was a distance restriction. The coop had to be so kany feet away from the nearest structure. For example 200ft from your neighbors house.

When the lots are 125 feet wide? How does that happen?