Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food stamps and Hawaii
Nope, she is new, less than two years and she is not in management. She is a worker.
quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Bound...
Kapohocat, I hope what you are seeing is the new norm because that is not what I have seen at all. I just see the younger generation asking everything to be handed to them because you have it. I really, really hope that what I am witnessing is not the norm and you are seeing is.

I think the phrase I should have used is the "youngest" generation. Since I am at the tale end of the boomers, there are a couple of generations between me and the youngest.

I agree that at least the 2 generations between me and the youngest do exhibit the qualities you mentioned.

The people in their 20's right now paying into social security do not even know if it will exist when they retire. Where is the money that they pay every month going? It is going out the other side of the system to the current retirees. There are stats about it, but I just dont know how to link. There are stats about the "total paid in" by someone in their 70's or whatever- and what "thier estimated benefit out". I'd just google it I suppose.
YEp, the war rages on. Was speaking to another X-er I know yesterday about this. She has a PHD in engineering, and I'm on my 3rd college degree myself. WE are both "underemployed"- and yet somehow we are still chastised by the boomers.
I get a chuckle reading this thread. I for one dont begrudge any one a meal. How con Agra drives the system and that a lot of the food distributed may not meet with the best standards from a nutritional standpoint. May be a topic in itself.

What does blow me away is standing in line out the grocery store and seeing what is bought with ebt funds - and the cash it frees up

In many ways folks with ebt purchases seem to have the room to buy a better cut of meat than I can afford - we'll just have burgers again.....
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

There are stats about the "total paid in" by someone in their 70's or whatever- and what "thier estimated benefit out".
The stats you need to look at are not, "dollar in, dollar out." The really stat is "dollar in + interest for 50 years = nowhere near what a retiree actually receives." The system was supposed to be set up to pay you interest on your investment.
Remember the 2000 election? Everyone made fun of Al Gore for saying he would put Social Security money into a lock box, because at that time there still was enough money. George Bush took our Soc Sec money and sent it to Iraq so the war expenses wouldn't show up as deficit spending.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
How many ebt recipients do you know that also smoke cigarettes? 10 dollars a pack - 30 packs a month............ test em for tobacco? - grin
The other thread was locked because this topic is more politics, less Puna. Thinking it's a good idea to start another thread seems like "entitlement" to me...

quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

I was locked out of the other thread, so decided I'd have to start my own.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

How many ebt recipients do you know that also smoke cigarettes? 10 dollars a pack - 30 packs a month............ test em for tobacco? - grin

yep. i recently posted witnessing same - ebt for the food, cash for her cancer stix

David
Ninole Resident
This island also has a significant cash economy - payment/wages received for which NO taxes, NO SS, No retirement, nothing is paid and it doesn't get included in qualifying either. How significant??? Even the state has been trying to recoup their GET portion.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident