Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OFFICIAL name of the island?
When people ask me what island I live on I say "Hawaii". When they say, NO what ISLAND. I sigh and say the Big one. lol

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
If the conversation is solely about the island of Hawaii, I use "Hawaii". But to give clarity to something I am referring to about the state of Hawaii and some reference has to go to BI, I say "the Big Island". I'm slightly irritated to use BI but it helps reduce confusion.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Check your tax forms. It's Hawaii. That confuses people who don't live in Hawaii, as I am sure you already know so it has been called the Big Island. But people on Oahu know they don't live on Hawaii, but that they live in Hawaii so if asked I would first determine what they called our island and then I might act horrified at whatever the response is.

If they called it "Hawaii", feign horror and tell them we all call it the Big Island.

If they call it the Big Island, feign horror, act indignant and tell them we all call it Moku o Keawe.

If they call it Moku o Keawe, look them deep in the eyes and say "That's beautiful. And so is your island."
quote:
Originally posted by OpenD

I think Kea'au was called 9 Mile back in the Sugar days.
Those names are still shown on the USGS topo maps. Ninemile Camp is the upper part of Keaau above the shopping center; 8 1/2 Mile Camp is down by the old mill, on the makai side of 130; and 9 1/2 Mile Camp is off the highway between Keaau and KS. The mile marks were originally measured along Kilauea Ave. from downtown Hilo so they're about 1.5 miles off from the current mile marks.
I just wish they could make the state fish easier to spell...

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
So what do you call someone that lives here that's not ethnic hawaiian, and you know like Texan or New Yorker
The way I've heard it, and I could be wrong, is... If you're Native Hawaiian, then you're Hawaiian. If you were born or raised here, then you're a local. If you moved here from the mainland (or somewhere else) you live in Hawaii.
Someone who is unlikely to get "Humuhumunukunukuapua`a" correct in a spelling bee. But doubt that's limited to New York or Texas. In fact I know it isn't.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
a Big Islander! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

So what do you call someone that lives here that's not ethnic hawaiian, and you know like Texan or New Yorker

I just know Carey has an answer to this and I thought she'd have responded by now. I hope she's OK...[Smile]
><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

da kine ha-wine