Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best plan for ski trip?
Yeah, going there would be the thing to do with little kids that might be too cranky to ski anyhow. I'll probably wait another year, but it sure is tempting! I've skied a lot in Colorado and New Mexico, but I don't know California at all.
I have skied the Sierras for decades. There is currently a drought there. At Tahoe you will pay Tahoe prices unless maybe you try Boreal Ridge, but California powder is pretty marginal quality skiing snow(concrete powder). Once you ski Rocky mountain powder you will know. The reason I suggest Schweitzer is the prices and the great snow. 56 yrs. an avid skier. The one biggest sacrifice of being in HI.

Dan
For west coast destinations, I'd advise checking out Mt. Hood out of Portland, Snoqualmie Pass out of Seattle (it used to have 4 ski areas close together).
I personally lived in a small town in Eastern Oregon and learned to ski and continued to avidly, maniacally ski at a small ski area out of LaGrande/Baker City, OR, called Anthony Lakes Ski. Great dry powder skiing, friendly community, inexpensive tickets. But it is NOT a good destination area! Best to do what Rob suggested or try Portland or Seattle.
Oh, there are a couple of areas you could check. Lake Tahoe from Reno or Flagstaff, AZ from Phoenix. I sure wouldn't buy tickets to areas that have "dry" years because of the risk of buying tickets and no snow. January and February are cold months but the snow is the best for most areas. March and first of April is good if you prefer heavier snow and warmer days.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Daniel I agree! I think the only thing I miss about living here is the skiing. Every year, I am just dying to go.
My SIL works at Snow Summit in the SO Cal San Bernadino mountains. (Less than 2.5 hrs from LAX).

Skiing may start as soon as this weekend. They got snow last week and it is staying cold enough to make snow.

I too skied for years but am happy to think about just looking up at the snow on Mauna Kea for Christmas! Will we have a white Mauna Kea Christmas this year? Looks like not much for Thanksgiving.
Try skitown.com for searches. Hey Cat

Hey Daniel! Smile
June Mountain in California has skiing for free for children under 12.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-june...z2q8Sbt782
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Beautiful area too. Careful in that area if it is storming. I suppose that would be obvious.
Tahoe areas...
I used to drive up, ski all day, and get home same day for about $35 total including gas, lift tix, and lunch/dinner (from Sonoma County NorCal)

My personal favorite for a quick trip on a day off was Sugar Bowl, easy, close, and cheep... they used to have 1/2 price Wed ...lift tix 1/2 price... its the OLDEST ski resort in the Nation... http://www.sugarbowl.com/home

another cheepy not many know about, thats also uniquely cool is Homewood on the west shore of Lake Tahoe http://www.skihomewood.com its so close to lake it seems like you can throw a rock into the lake... very cool skiing with lake in background the whole time they also had deals back then $15 lift tixs cant beat that .... Im sure prices have changed since I was last there about 12 years ago...

If you fly into say Sacramento, its close by really..
but make sure there is snow (like others said), Sugar Bowl makes their own on bad years, Homewood is very low (crest of our Saddle Rd. is about 500' higher than Lake Tahoe) so needs good snow or forget it...

aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha