Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is a good roadside for me to dump a freezer?
Here is the recycling guide:

http://www.recyclehawaii.org/images/RH-G...13-web.pdf

I took my TV to Mr.K's 815 Kinole Street.
they get places in hilo that u can drop electronics off for free
According to the recycling web site residents can take electronics (including TVs) to the Hilo transfer station on the fourth Saturday of the month. Problem is, I can't afford to spend $10 worth of gas for a special trip to take somebody else's trash into Hilo. So unfortunately the TV will sit on the side of the road until the next time I go into Hilo for other business that is also coincidentally the fourth Saturday of the month.

Or, maybe somebody else will see it as roadside treasure and add it to their collection of hoarded items.
Mr.K's at 815 Kinole Street will take electronics anytime.My wife took our old tv there last month.
Terracore, at least hide it until then, otherwise, your load is guaranteed to increase.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
quote:
Originally posted by oink

Terracore, at least hide it until then, otherwise, your load is guaranteed to increase.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

To be honest, when I was picking up the freezer I thought about tossing the TV into the jungle for that very reason, but with my luck Puna's thin blue line would pull up just in time to see me chucking a television into the woods and pat themselves on the back for "catching me" before I had a chance to do the same thing with the junked freezer in my truck.

"Sure you were going to come back for the TV later... I bet you were going to take this freezer to the dump too... Book 'em, Danno!"
I think refrigerators and freezers need to go to the Hilo dump. They have the equipment there to extract Freon from the cooling unit. It's a greenhouse gas, so needs to be recycled.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The sign at Pahoa said they take Fridges and freezers. The websites say that both Pahoa and Hilo take these items.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
quote:
... residents can take electronics (including TVs) to the Hilo transfer station on the fourth Saturday of the month.

Opinion: this is a symptom of a larger problem -- any citizen who wants to do the "right thing" should be actively encouraged by making it as easy as possible.

There's no reason the transfer stations couldn't accept electronics at all times; storage and transportation are a simple logistical issue, and both are cheaper than the eventual hazmat cleanup -- but this assumes that our (taxpayer-funded!) government cares about "solving the problem", and there is overwhelming evidence that they do not.
Do you have to ride in on a white horse just before noon wearing nothing before they will except our easily broken, unfixable appliances and electronics?.
Now let me play the uneducated--" Me thinks the ocean is closer, cheaper and easier".