Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Wireless Systems (AWS)
Yes, the Verizon (or Sprint) EV-DO rev. A broadband cards would be plenty fast. Unfortunately neither company has EV-DO rev. A or even rev. 0 beyond Mountain View. For that matter I'm not sure if they even have rev. A on the island at all yet. For those unsure of what the difference is, EV-DO revision A offers better speeds than revision 0. The download speed is only slightly higher. More importantly, the upload speed is significantly increased.

As far as T1 goes, I appreciate the info, and the service would definitely meet or exceed my needs. Unfortunately, it is definitely cost prohibitive.

AWS will be doing a site survey at my house in the next week or so to see what they can do for me. I'll keep everybody posted as to what they offer.

Aloha Aaron -

That $350 includes the local loop charge.

Pacific LightNet is a CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier) so we have special agreements for local loops. And we don't feel it necessary to over charge our customers.

We're also an ISP as we own Hawaii Online. As such we run all of our Broadband to our POP in Oahu.

The package I referred to is our Next Generation Network's PowerFlex Service. We deliver voice and date over an IP Pipe via T1. We then QoS voice utilizing 80K per conversation. When no conversations are taking place we dynamically allocate the full bandwidth to Internet Access. This is a Business Class Package that I have installed all over the Island.

And yes...you consistantly get 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps when no conversations are taking place.

Mahalo!
quote:
Two questions does the 350.00 include the local loop charges from Hawaiian Telcom.
Also is there a service level agreement
where you are guaranteed T-1 grade service.

In other words if you don't consistently get
1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps service, you get a credit.

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
Thank you for the information. I was just trying to ask the questions other people were not comfortable in asking.

That being said, I think I'll stick with my HawTel DSL. Especially after the signicant speed increase announcement mentioned here

http://hawaiiantel.com/media/47848606.mp3

Edited by - Aaron S on 08/17/2007 22:22:03
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...80345/1071

Oceanic carved out the largest share of the Internet market in part by offering the highest speeds — 5 megabits per second. Now Hawaiian Telcom is looking to trump Oceanic's Road Runner Internet service by offering faster download speeds of 7 megabits to 11 megabits per second coupled with upload speeds of 1 megabit per second. Hawaiian Telcom's current residential service tops out at 3 megabits per second, or 3 million bits of information per second.

I'll be keeping my Oceanic TW cable internet for now... although there are times that it drops out, which over the last year and a half those seem to be less and less frequent. The download speed is really great. I still keep my analog line, too, though, since when the power goes out, the cable and Internet service seem to go out too (I have all my computer stuff on UPS, but I guess Oceanic TW doesn't). It's nice to be able to call 911 anytime you need to.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
Well its very likely that Oceanic will upgrade their speeds in response to this.
Its pretty much a given if they want to remain competitive. As their standard
5Mbps/384K service is rather paltry.

having been both a Roadrunner customer and currently a Hawaiian Telecomm DSL customer. I can honestly tell you this. I welcome the announcement from Hawaiian Telecomm of their plans for internet upgrades. Currently their download speed is very frustrating, and I only use it for OS upgrades, and to download podcasts.

I think it's great the speeds that Hawaiian Telecomm plans to introduce! But what will it cost the customers? If you think you'll be paying $29.99 like Hawaiian Telecomm charges now...you're in for a big surprise!!! I only pray & hope Hawaiian Tel considers that prices now are out of control. Oceanic now charges something like $50.00 a month for new cable customers!!! I was reading somewhere that Hawaiian Telecomm will charge upwards of $60.00 a month for their high end service. I simply refuse to pay that price for any internet service!

What really rubs me wrong is the overall speed of all these services. Have any of you had the pleasure of using an internet hookup in either Japan or South Korea? It flies there! I mean it's so fast, I'm blown away. Yet this technology was invented in America, yet we trail Asia. Wassup wit dat?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
Everything is relative Adam!

at $350.00 a month!!! Who can afford that in their home? Besides, price tag hardly justifies the service in my opinion. I'd rather go back to dialup before I'd pay $350.00 a month for my internet!My friends all know how much I despise dialup too!!! Hell, I thought Oceanic was "price gouging",charging $50.00 a month!

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
at $350.00 a month!!! Who can afford that in their home? Besides, price tag hardly justifies the service in my opinion. I'd rather go back to dialup before I'd pay $350.00 a month for my internet!My friends all know how much I despise dialup too!!! Hell, I thought Oceanic was "price gouging",charging $50.00 a month!

I'm not trying to defend PLNI. But the high cost is due the fact the speeds are guaranteed. The reason why your DSL and RR
is cheaper is because the speeds are not guaranteed.

quote:
having been both a Roadrunner customer and currently a Hawaiian Telecomm DSL customer. I can honestly tell you this. I welcome the announcement from Hawaiian Telecomm of their plans for internet upgrades. Currently their download speed is very frustrating, and I only use it for OS upgrades, and to download podcasts.

I think it's great the speeds that Hawaiian Telecomm plans to introduce! But what will it cost the customers? If you think you'll be paying $29.99 like Hawaiian Telecomm charges now...you're in for a big surprise!!! I only pray & hope Hawaiian Tel considers that prices now are out of control. Oceanic now charges something like $50.00 a month for new cable customers!!! I was reading somewhere that Hawaiian Telecomm will charge upwards of $60.00 a month for their high end service. I simply refuse to pay that price for any internet service!

What really rubs me wrong is the overall speed of all these services. Have any of you had the pleasure of using an internet hookup in either Japan or South Korea? It flies there! I mean it's so fast, I'm blown away. Yet this technology was invented in America, yet we trail Asia. Wassup wit dat?

Actually for standarded RR service is 44.95
for 5Mbps/384K connection. It is 54.90 for Road Runner Turbo for a 8Mbps/512K connection.

So I figure, the 7Mbps service should be not
higher than $54.90. As for the 11Mbps service I'm not sure how much HawTel will charge.Where did you hear that it would be 60.00. HawTel has not announced their pricing yet.

By the way in regards to RR's pricing, if you bundle with other services the RR price
drops significantly.

In regards to other countries better Internet speeds, its because those countries
have a clear Internet policy implimented by their governments. Its because of telcom/ cable companies and their lobbyists that
we are in the predicament we are in today.