Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Dylan coming to Hawaii
I also love Dylan. The time to see him has passed. He no longer plays the guitar and can barley sing the old songs. He plays a little keyboard on stage now and sings in his new gruff voice. I am sure that things are not much better ten years later from the last time I saw him.
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

The time to see him has passed. He no longer plays the guitar...
I believe a few people said the same thing after Dylan plugged his sunburst Fender Stratocaster into a wall socket at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I'm confident the concert will be sold out.

I was able to catch Ella Fitzgerald and James Brown at the end of their careers... wasn't disappointed at all.

My daughters thought they were going to a Jackson Brown concert. I let James Brown introduce himself to them. They left singing "Get up offa that thing, get down, get funky!". It was fun. They got a rare bit of education.

There is a young generation that could do well to see Bob Dylan even if he is not in his prime.

Go Bob!
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Im serious, he has carpal tunnel in his hands and does not play. His new stuff is good, but he cannot play the old stuff or sing it. If you just want to go see Dylans band and Dylan kinda sing his new stuff then its great. Its not the Dylan most people are familiar with and he sounds better on the studio album then he does in person, a lot of studio magic happening with the new albums.
I saw James browns last tour, he slapped all the backup singers on the ass multiple times. Good show. Wish I could have seen Ella.
He never was a singer, but a poet....oh yeah
IÔm sorry to hear he canÔt play his guitar any more. What about harmonica?

HeÔs almost 73 and heÔs been doing concerts for over five decades. HeÔs still Dylan.

Some artist have one hit song and do it over and over again on the circuit until they die. Dylan has like 300 songs you might be thrilled to hear.

You never know what Dylan will be like. HeÔs been spectacularly off from time to time going way back. Then heÔs pulled it together when I thought he was done and reinvented himself one more time.

Speaking of old guys, I remember going to see John Lee Hooker when he was 70 and being impressed. At the time I was 25 and 70 seemed ancient. He still had it.
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

I also love Dylan. The time to see him has passed. He no longer plays the guitar and can barley sing the old songs.

Barely sing? I'd just say can't sing.

I have loved Bob Dylan my whole life, since his first album, and I have to say that seeing him 2 years ago was the most disappointing concert experience of my entire life. I walked out after three songs, it was so painful.

He is an icon of our time. I have loved his music since I was a boy.
I have heard Corrina,Corrina by lots of different musicians, he did it the best and so so many songs all alive in my mind. At this point whether it is farewell Bob or hello again or whatever it is for any of us who can get there to see him it is an opportunity, maybe a last one, who knows?
I passed up seeing Carl Sagan speak it turned out he was gone from us forever the next year.
If he just stood up there and told stories for a couple hours, anything, it is Bob Dylan.
Never seen Dylan. I have noticed some artists/bands/whatever you want to call them, that have played in Kona since we moved here (a year and a half ago, have been charging outrageous prices for tickets. I have been to see both Taj Mahal and John Mayall at the Honokaa Peoples Theater. Both were great shows, and VERY reasonable. I've seen most of the shows I want to see. Jimi Hendrix (about 1967), Black Sabbath (also way back), Mountain, the Allman Brothers Band (during the Live at the Phillmore East album), Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown, Climax Blues Band, Johnny Winter, Robin Trower (twice), Marshall Tucker Band, and many others. I'll never forget these fine shows. Would I pay, say, $300-$500 to see a band. All right.. If Jimi Hendrix came back from the dead for a show, I would. Otherwise, not a chance. $100 to see Bob Dylan currently. No.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP