Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematics at Luquins
I'm with gypsy on this one...filthy place - I also would never bring kids there.

Taco Bell makes better "mexican" "food", and their numbers add up.

I'm also surprised that DoH (or EPA) doesn't condemn downtown Pahoa.
Reading all this about lack of good Mexican or Spanish cuisine is making me think there has to be a hell of opportunity to open one. Its one of the easiest cuisines to do right. If you have fresh avocado, limes, and cilantro, your half way there.

Emmas was great for fresh & cost effective Mexican fare (though a limited menu) when it was open in Shipman Park (no-one has fresher tortillas!)

Lucys in Hilo has a good portion for price ratio, is clean, fast service, and usually noisy like a street market in Mexico at fiesta time. Their menu is varied too a degree (more than most places on island), but I kinda wish those table markets got a bath between tables....

ADD: Pineapples found that Spanish/Mexican dining done their way did not work in Hilo...partly because there is a tourist trade that may not be looking for Spanish/Mexican (done their way) Since they changed up the menu, and the service, they seem to be doing very well
IS store space expensive ?
quote:

In some cases the landlord requires a percentage of sales.

This, over and above the expensive permit/license/inspection process, and a limited inventory of correctly-zoned commercial space...
Pineapples couldnt compete with Lucys so they changed their menu. Lucys is the only true mexican food on the east side.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

quote:

In some cases the landlord requires a percentage of sales.

This, over and above the expensive permit/license/inspection process, and a limited inventory of correctly-zoned commercial space...

I guess this could be negotiated...
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Pineapples couldnt compete with Lucys so they changed their menu. Lucys is the only true mexican food on the east side.

Lucy's is great, but I guess you've never been to Reuben's or Mexico
I've been spending time every year in Mexico with my daughter who learned how to cook Mexican food from her Mexican mother in law. After all the food I've eaten at her table, on the beach, out of a food cart, or in a restaurant while in Mexico I can honestly say there is nothing close to authentic Mexican food here, unless it is in someone's home. There is Cali/Mexican food in varying degrees of quality, including a pretty good hole in the wall burrito and taco place that I think is run by someone from El Salvador that was on the lower level under a big grocery store somewhere in South Kona we found one time not too long ago, but no authentic Mexican food.

Carol

edited to replace a chunk of writing that disappeared from my post
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb