Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to buy a lawn mower?
quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

Don't trust Sear's online store inventory checker. On several occasions the online site said an item was in stock at the Hilo store, so I entered credit card info to purchase. You're then told to wait for a confirmation email before picking up. And then the next day I got emails saying "the order has been cancelled because the item is not available at your store."
Good point. So you can call the department and verify whether they have that item in stock just before processing the order.

What with the staff efficiency and all, you might have a 50/50 shot that you got the correct answer. If the answer was NO, then you most likely got the right answer.

If the answer was YES, and you don't feel lucky, then go to the store.
Don't forget to join Shop My Rewards and get credit for a big purchase.

I hardly ever shop at Sears right now because I'm not buying those types of things at the moment, yet still they occasionally email me that they've given me $10 in Surprise Points with no minimum purchase. Just given me $10 if I come in the next week. [8D]
I had to replace our hot water heater about a year ago. I looked online at Sears, and was looking for the same model that went bad, as space is important where it is plumbed in. The website said they had 6. So, I went to buy one. I was told that they really didn't have any, but would be happy to sell me a much more expensive model they did have in stock. I said no thank you, and went to Home Depot. I found a model there that was close in dimensions and bought it. Had tyo do a little extra work to install it, but I got it to fit and it works fine.

Shortly after we moved here the ancient Sears riding mower than came with the house had a problem, and I had to order parts from Amazon. So, I picked up a Toro mower. It's one with extra large rear wheels. It's been fine. And we haven't been gentle with it.

Don't forget to change oil on your mower. People tend to forget this.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I bought mine from sears. Was 270 something on sale but I went with 2 or 3 year warranty. Can't remember for another 50 bucks. Had it for about a year now... You will hit a lot of rocks, unless you got a lot of soil. I grow the peanut grass and set it on the high setting so I don't hit MANY rocks. Smile I think I hit about 3-4 rocks so far. Blade still in pretty good shape, and still starts on the first pull.

Tip, Never put regular gas in a small engine always buy ethanol free gas. Hope I don't have to use the warranty. I change the oil every 6 months. Haven't had to replace the spark plug yet or air cleaner. So far so good! I should probably bring my manual into sears and order the tune up kit soon.

I need to get my weed eater serviced. Anyone know a good person preferably in Pahoa?
Steve's Honda on Leilani has excellent stock on hand.
We used to buy the expensive brands such as Toro,but after years of going through both the riding mowers,the self propelled varieties , we just buy the cheapest models as after 5 or 6 years they tend to fail because of wear and tear.
We like the HD kind of 22 inch motorized push mower called yardbird,made now of mostly plastic so no rust issues and great on fuel.One tank lasts over 2.6 hours and we use regular fuel with a few drops of SEAFOAM STABILIZER in each tank of mower fuel to offset the corn syrup added into the fuel that clogs the delicate carb system.
Garden Exchange !

They are 10% off ending today.

http://www.gardenexchangehilo.com/index.php/coupons/
I second for Steves honda on Leilani St. He has a lot of stock and great prices but most important is that he stands by what he sells. Ive had my honda mower for 5 years now running great. Just brought it in for a blade sharpen, no charge. And the number 1 reason local, local, buy local, support your island not home depots.
One unfortunate downside about purchasing a Sears warranty on lawn mowers....bent or broken drive shafts on push and riding mowers are "not" covered.
Honda mowers are really great. Easy to start and they run pretty quiet. Steves Honda in Hilo sells them and has good customer service.
Home Depot , Honda , 2 years , no prob.
Fact... There is nothing great about a Honda engine over in other engine. They are all made in China. When I went to sears, I was thinking I should buy a Honda, yeah they wanted 150 more the sticker. Lucky that sears didn't have it, because what I got now that I paid 2XX for is probably the best mower I have ever owned. I wouldn't trade it in for honda ... Yes, we all know if you abuse the machine and bend/bust a drive shaft the mower is toast. No warranty is going to cover that. But if the carb or something else fails it's nice to know it's covered.

Nothing against Chinese mowers. The problem is are you "LUCKY"? I bought a Honda once, was garbage pretty much out of the box. Probably bad carb or something. If you do happen to get a great mower that starts on the first pull, EVERY TIME... Then you better do whatever you can to keep that going, like changing out the oil, filters, spark plugs regularly.

Good Luck (literally) !!!