Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMO Free Hawaii endorses FRANCES Frannie PUEO
Hey, I have to side with Mendo here, Kathy. You, and carol, and TomK, and a few others always keep it civil. And that makes it a worthwhile virtual watering hole. I also try to stay civil, but I feel I may have tossed in the odd colorful name from time to time. I can't help but notice however, that sometimes this place gets vicious. Founding Fathers and First Amendments notwithstanding... the question was never about your right to be vicious here or anywhere else (and believe me, I don't think you, personally, are) ... but rather why any elected official would voluntarily choose to mix it up in here? There's nothing to gain and a whole lot to lose...
Thank you, DaVinci, it was very kind of you to say that about me. However, I can get somewhat miffed with some of the stupidity shown by one or two people on this forum including those who want us to return to the dark ages, so if you see me being less than civil on the odd occasion, please forgive me. I am certainly capable of lacking civility, but please do not hesitate to let me know if I have gone over the top, sometimes I get too upset about where I think our community is heading.

Incidentally, I do not agree with your views on GMOs but I find the discussion pointless these days and have given up joining in the debates. I think everyone is so entrenched with their own points of view there is no longer any middle ground, and I do not think labelling is middle ground, it's a slippery slope that will enable those from the genuine anti-science and anti-logic brigade to get their way. I do not include you in that. But this is Puna. So be it.

Edited - minor change, I like the word "entrenched"!
In the past there have been numerous candidates who had a thread of their own in here and had some excellent discussion. I know I would ask polite questions and would listen attentively. (Can't speak for all).
Ed. Because I was too tired when I posted last night.
The lack of required civility is the reason no sane candidate engages in the discussion here. Not a single one, which for a political blog is a shame. Imagine the discussions that could occur if those candidates, arguably the most involved citizens we have, were involved in our discussions. We could have vigorous discussions of issues without the personal attacks. I confess I've indulged in this koolaid myself, and regret it when my higher self returns.
This seems to be the moderator's choice, but he should not expect a different result, such as wondering why the candidate mentioned, or any other candidate, did not post anything here.
Blog= a personal internet presence created and used by a person or organization, sometimes allows comments from others and sometimes does not..
Forum= a place in cyberspace available for individuals to contribute ideas or discuss issues. Can be wide open in terms of topics and participants, or can be limited to registered participants and limited to specific topics. some forums are strictly moderated in terms of both content and tone, while others are an absolute free for all with no holds barred comments. Punaweb has a relatively hands off moderator who maintains the site as a gift to the community and is a forum that requires registration and is limited to Hawaii related topics.

The politics section of Punaweb tends to be almost completely dormant between elections, this year is the first time we've seen a flood of new people who join just to dominate the politics section with post after post.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Thank you, DaVinci, it was very kind of you to say that about me. However, I can get somewhat miffed with some of the stupidity shown by one or two people on this forum including those who want us to return to the dark ages, so if you see me being less than civil on the odd occasion, please forgive me. I am certainly capable of lacking civility, but please do not hesitate to let me know if I have gone over the top, sometimes I get too upset about where I think our community is heading.

Incidentally, I do not agree with your views on GMOs but I find the discussion pointless these days and have given up joining in the debates. I think everyone is so entrenched with their own points of view there is no longer any middle ground, and I do not think labelling is middle ground, it's a slippery slope that will enable those from the genuine anti-science and anti-logic brigade to get their way. I do not include you in that. But this is Puna. So be it.

TomK, you are a gentleman, and (literally) a scholar. I realize we differ on GMOs and I do really respect your opinion... and I share your weariness regarding that topic, so I will not add one drop more to the debate here. We do agree on other things, aside from GMO, so let's allow all of that to dominate our discourse for awhile. The political season is almost over, as Carol has pointed out. As usual, a wild ride... but I'm ready for a bit more Punatalk and a bit less Puna Politics...
quote:
Originally posted by Mendo

The lack of required civility is the reason no sane candidate engages in the discussion here. Not a single one, which for a political blog is a shame. Imagine the discussions that could occur if those candidates, arguably the most involved citizens we have, were involved in our discussions. We could have vigorous discussions of issues without the personal attacks. I confess I've indulged in this koolaid myself, and regret it when my higher self returns.
This seems to be the moderator's choice, but he should not expect a different result, such as wondering why the candidate mentioned, or any other candidate, did not post anything here.

!

quote:
Originally posted by Anxious Messiah

quote:
Originally posted by Mendo

Imagine the discussions that could occur if those candidates, arguably the most involved citizens we have, were involved in our discussions. We could have vigorous discussions of issues without the personal attacks.

After the primary on Saturday, I would love to invite the candidates from District 4 and 5 who are proceeding in the Nov election to join here and discuss the issues and their ideas for Puna.

Well, until a candidate tests the waters, they don't know how they would be personally treated. I certainly wouldn't be uncivil to a candidate posting directly. In fact, a lot of things might not be said ABOUT them if they were to post and engage.

As Rob said earlier, the protocol he had was for the candidate to start his or her own topic for engaging, which has been done in the past, and worked fine.

Unless there seems to be an effort to misinform the public about the candidate why couldn't someone pass on information about a candidate they support.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Is there some reason Frances isn't telling us this?