Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People of Leilani ordered tested ? - PGV
The geothermal company said that it was a procedural emergency steam release that was “scrubbed” with caustic soda and water to remove the hydrogen sulfide.
The company also noted that the “peak” instance of hydrogen sulfide was 25 parts per billion, while state Department of Health regulation specifies that acceptable limits are 25 parts per billion on an “hourly average.” To put this into perspective, it is important to note that OSHA standards allow workers without protective equipment to work in an area with 10,000 parts per billion.
There are about 70 employees and contractors at the PGV site on Pohoiki Road in Pahoa supporting the maintenance activity, and we have no reports of illness or nausea.

http://bigislandnow.com/2014/08/14/puna-...gas-alert/

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by TWK

lavalava you sure seem to be pro PGV at any cost.How invested are you?

More than you!
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

The geothermal company said that it was a procedural emergency steam release that was “scrubbed” with caustic soda and water to remove the hydrogen sulfide.
The company also noted that the “peak” instance of hydrogen sulfide was 25 parts per billion, while state Department of Health regulation specifies that acceptable limits are 25 parts per billion on an “hourly average.” To put this into perspective, it is important to note that OSHA standards allow workers without protective equipment to work in an area with 10,000 parts per billion.
There are about 70 employees and contractors at the PGV site on Pohoiki Road in Pahoa supporting the maintenance activity, and we have no reports of illness or nausea.

http://bigislandnow.com/2014/08/14/puna-...gas-alert/

Bananahead, these people don't appreciate, understand, or agree with facts. Nor do they care about the fact that none of the PGV staff who were closest to all this needed medical intervention. I know of people 10 miles from PGV getting sick a week later and wanting to blame it on this which makes about as much sense as blaming it on a emissions from a generator in Antarctica.

The mayor and civil defense should be ordering emergency psych evals.
Below is the post I made just before the T storm from the thread titled: Would it wise for PGV at this time to prepare?

Posted - 08/06/2014 : 10:02:39 Show Profile Reply with Quote
I woke last night at a little after 3 am (a usual occurrence)to a faint but detectable hydrogen - sulfide smell. At this point I had a thought about how totally bad it would be if something happened to PGV as a result of the incoming storm , and wondered what special considerations PGV is taking if any in regards to these approaching storms.
PGV lies on a gradual plane tending upwards from the ocean next to Vacation land, and as a result , the coming storms would have a very easy time coming inland at that little distance (maybe 2 miles + or -)
The havoc that could evolve to an unprepared PGV (NOT SAYING IT IS),
might be considerable ( think above ground well-head plumbing and structures , and possible security equipment fail safes devices) if they had an uncontrolled release of hydrogen - sulfide. Imagine 70+ mph winds with gusts even higher in a blinding rainstorm , with men frantically running around in virtual spacesuits in a haze of toxic gases at night - of course this is seemingly a worst case scenario.
In my opinion, since these storms and the time of their arrival, has been broadcast continually for many days already, their would be no valid excuse to be unprepared, and PGV saying something like, "we never even considered this to be a possibility" would be particularly unacceptable

Another post on same thread:
Posted - 08/06/2014 : 14:54:55 So I spent about some time (45 min) trying to talk with a live person at pgv , after having to deal with recorded messages for that amount of time I did manage to leave a message with administration & possibly the control room, but apparently no one was available to talk with me live. As well, I did talk to one live person at a reference # which I believe was Oromat headquarters - I tried to explain that I was seeking an answer to the question" does pgv have any emergency procedure established for this event - not necessarly an evacution scenario as that seemed unlikely in an all out hurricane.which as of this writing @ 2:50 HST seems unlikely as the eye has disapated at this time.
Perhaps you might have better luck. The tel numbers are:
PGV BEST # 965 6233
PGV 2ND BEST 9658843 given by FD who didn't have a tel# on hand and had to go online to give me this # which didn't work for me other than refer me to the Oromat # below.
Oromat 866 517 1610

THEN tHIS pOST:
Posted - 08/10/2014 : 12:25:11 Show Profile Reply with Quote
As I am sitting here writing these reports, I just learned that ON Thursday night during the storm as many were listening to the radio about island reports, Sherry Bracken and several other broadcast personalities, reported that "PGV" , was having an un-controlled release of TOXIC GASES. In the process of writing this missive, a woman who lives in Lani Puna Gardens (extremely close) was fearing for her life as the sound of the of the uncontrolled venting was louder than the Hurricane.She also reported no sounds of thunder. Fearing for their families they first called 911 and were chastised by the operator for using 911 for what she said was a non emergency. Then , since they knew the PGV plant manager Mike Kalakini, they called his # , and apparently he sounded like he was being woken up - not clear if that was the case, none the less PGV grossly under reported the toxic release as this couple and her familiy were afflicted with nausea, and
sickness.

This PGV true story is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. we must hold their feet to the fire and do whatever we must to get accountability from our elected and non- elected officals , and enlighten Hawaiin Tel as to their negligence in the 911 awareness of the situation.
As well we need to establish the truth of the report that PGV "must have an uncontrolled release of Toxic gases every time their are electrical grid issues (dropped or downed poles or wires).

Addendum: The progression of this thread shows that PGV/ Hawaiian TEL
Need to answer to this event - especially since the story seems to be in the process of - shall we say evolutionary revisionism.

When one adds the Hale interview as corroborative evidence to other story's of people living near PGV,an honest person would conclude that indeed their was a real problem that turned out worse than my original thoughts expressed above in that,evac was impossible.
Also it is quite ingenuous to cast aspersions against people who may also have been in the recent Cinderland production as to the verity of their claims.
Also I talked to my Lifeguard friend and he said that emergency response to PGV at this time was intercepted buy the above reality of
inaccessibility due to fallen trees and wires blocking all access to pgv - is that not also contrary to the official story?

Bob, What in the world does Hawaiian Tel have to do with this?
Do you realize that the 911 center is manned by County employees, not Hawaiian Telcom?

Maybe it would be better if people held your feet to the fire for continuing to spread false rumors and accusations?

ps - Wasn't Bob Petricci the same guy who received a buyout for his property claiming his health was suffering, then moved literally, just a few further blocks away from the "dangerous" geothermal plant?

They should be informed that emergency calls from anyone reporting H2So2 in what appears to be an un-controlled release situation is
right in dialing 911- especially when the calling # is identified as originating from Puna.
Identify my false rumor that you are accusing me of - and by the way L dude, you were lucky that your location was not affected by this occurence.
Hey Ldude - so you take it back about the false rumors that you accused me of, or does your silence say it all?
"I have singled out one easier to see event - the whole Hemisphere is being manipulated and Julio looks like it may be making a move towards the South , possibly to get another whack at Hawaii."
quote:
Originally posted by Opihikaobob

Hey Ldude - so you take it back about the false rumors that you accused me of, or does your silence say it all?

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC...hichpage=1

Bob, you spread false rumors. There was no "uncontrolled release" and if there was, how come the only 3 people who claim to have been affected, are some of the same ones who make wild accusations about PGV on a routine basis?

If this was all true, why are none of the PGV employees dead or gravely injured, since they were the closest to the false accident?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

quote:
Originally posted by Opihikaobob

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC...hichpage=1

Bob, you spread false rumors. There was no "uncontrolled release" and if there was, how come the only 3 people who claim to have been affected, are some of the same ones who make wild accusations about PGV on a routine basis?

If this was all true, why are none of the PGV employees dead or gravely injured, since they were the closest to the false accident?

"Bob, you spread false rumors".

Identify my specific post in the above referenced link .