Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Scenarios, Preparedness
It's too early to tell what the lava is going to do

County will consider "alternative access" when the lava reaches 130, not before.

avoid economic collapse of the County from the flow

I'm expecting a Massive Federal Bailout, myself.

Beach Road could be graded through to Maku'u

I doubt the people who live there would appreciate that, something about "keeping the country country".

...and before anyone accuses me of "snarking during a crisis", I'm actually trying to be realistic -- government response to previous disasters suggests that an "attitude problem" might actually be the best preparation.
the road was recently graded, and is nice, between Hawaiian Beaches and Kapoho.

opening up chain of craters, while it would be a long alternative, would still be an alternative, especially if the lava reaches the ocean, and railroad and/or coastal road get covered too.

if you had an off grid place down in lower puna - this could be a really nice change of pace - you could suddenly find yourself more isolated than somewhere like Kau or South Kona.
Question:
IF the flow reached 130 on the Kalapana side of Pahoa, and
IF it continued flowing at a similar rate towards the ocean, about how long would it take before it cut off the Red Road? Where would that eventual cutoff be likely? South of Kapoho?

Sorry - am on phone and don't have the map up, too small on the phone. Anyhow I'm not good with topography the way some of you here are, which is why I ask.

Edit- OK, I just saw the discussion in the other lava thread. Sorry. But good idea to have the projection in this topic too in case the other flow topic "stalls out" and gets buried.
IF the flow reached 130 on the Kalapana side of Pahoa,

It would have to flow uphill, quite a bit actually, to do that. It is probably more likely that it would go into that low area thru Pahoa, cross 130 then head into parts of lower Nanawale that sit much lower than the surrounding area.
Everything is just a wild guess though.
Thanks leilanidude. [Smile]
I was hoping for comments from people like yourself who know the topography there well, because I don't. All I see is a straight line of progress on the map and where that points, but I know the straight line is going to change.

OK then, so most likely scenario, Pahoa is cut off, and Hwy 132? Which leaves Old Government Road through Wa'a Wa'a IF the flow is south of Kahakai Blvd, but leaves no route if the crossing is north of Kahakai?
There's another meeting tonight in Pahoa.
This is what is being called the pad, the blob that emerged from the ground crack:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/upload...le-732.jpg

It looks like the ground crack acted like a straw. It was a good plan to put that park in the way, it will hold back that lava. Move on, nothing to see here.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
" avoid economic collapse of the County from the flow "

" I'm expecting a Massive Federal Bailout, myself "

While I don't underestimate in anyway the individual impact and hardship the lava crossing HWY 130 at Pahoa would cause, it would neither collapse the County economy , nor trigger a Federal bailout.

The economic contribution of lower Puna to the County/State is not in the same range as if Hualalai erupted and covered the Kona resort areas. Many take pride in being part of the underground economy. It will be a dent, especially with the agricultural contribution taking a major blow, but Puna always goes up and down. It's the tides.
The Feds are having their own economic woes, and with both Abercrombie and Obama in lame duck status, more energies are being directed to keep Pearl Harbor jobs than will be expended for a few thousand retirees, off the grid pioneers, and pot smoking hippies who all chose to live on the side of the most active volcano on the planet.
Again, I am absolutely aware of how this lava flow may/will affect individual lives - but please don't act as if this flow is an unforeseen catastrophe where some government entity will ride in and rescue you. Kapoho used to be a town - no more. Kalapana Gardens used to be an incredible subdivision where a community of people lived - no more. The Queen's Bath was the most wonderful water ever at the end of a long day. No more.

We are on the side of the most active volcano on the planet. If you have chosen to live with Pele, you have chosen the risk. How much homework you did before coming, how much Puna called you, and how much your real estate agent told you are all totally different questions.

Enjoy while you can.
If the lava threatens to cross highway 130, everyone who lives on the south side will most likely be forced to evacuate. It will not be an option to stay behind. Where will everyone go, is the question? I watched the videos of last nights meeting on Big Island Video News and the response was more or less, 'we are working on it and we will cross that bridge when we get to it.' Not very reassuring for those who could be affected very soon.
I went to tonight's meeting. They had some interesting information and of course there were some really, really, really stupid questions but some good ones as well.

Honestly, if it appears that it will cross 130, I think I will either purchase a used boat or go finance a new one. Gives me a way in and out. That is something I have seriously considered and would probably take that path if it was going to cross 130 and not head into my subdivision. About the only way I would evacuate is if it was heading into my subdivision or road access to get to the ocean was completely cut off.