Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke and vog
A note from Darryl this morning

Good morning,
I just got back in from this morning’s over flight. There was s prominent inversion this morning holding the smoke conditions down near the surface and not allowing it to dissipate. The conditions should as was starting to improve with the heating up of the morning sun and the pickup of winds.
As for the flow, it is a very slow moving surface flow and is fairly narrow in width. The burning of vegetation remains limited to only what is being touched by the flow and there is no brush fire or wildland fire threat. The leading edge of the flow is approx. 1.3 miles from the Wao Kele Puna Forest Reserve and no immediate or imminent threat. Please share with your community that we will be monitoring every day and updating our information releases and posting. As I mentioned the smoke condition should improve as the winds pick up and the inversion lifts. Hope this helps.

Jay
Jay
Thanks!
I was going to say something about this as well, but "slowmoving" means something different in "volcanologistspeak or-volcotalk" than the rest of us. That's almost 1600 feet in two days, from what I can gather.
HVO just came out with their report for today and they have the flow as even closer at 1.2 miles. Sigh...
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

Wind doesn't explain increased steam vent activity.

A clear cool night, with no wind, will generate a ground inversion in the air temperature - under those conditions you will often see areas of "steaming" ground that you wouldn't see when there's enough wind to break up the ground inversion (and it doesn't take much to do that). Very unlikely that a surface flow (or even flow into a crack) north of the rift will impact what is going on south of the rift.
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

HVO just came out with their report for today and they have the flow as even closer at 1.2 miles. Sigh...

At that rate of advance, isn't it just three days from the boundary of the Kaohe Homesteads above Pahoa?
Bit of a burning smell here in Eden Roc.
The message all along from civil defense and HVO is no imminent threat. We'll see in the coming days if that changes if the flow continues to advance. I would think they have some sort of threshold or point when it does become a threat, and perhaps that just hasn't been reached yet.
They stated at the meeting that they would "give residents 5 days to evacuate if necessary"- and they would issue evacuation orders then. It's on the video from earlier in the week. This was taken to mean -by me- that "if it's within 5 days of neighborhood, then it's considered imminent", but who knows".... I mean, would evacuation orders be issued for a threat that "wasn't imminent"? Cue the twilight music...
At 8 am this morning here in lower HPP it definitely smelled like heavy vog/burning/sulphur, etc, and no wind. Now it's 11 am and the winds are up and it smells like a forest fire. I am going to close the windows and aim some fans at the smoke detectors. My asthma is not happy.